Tesla Turning the Corner

Compressed air seems like a good solution for vehicles that don't have to travel very far but would like to be highly reliable/minimum maintenance downtime; ambulances, taxis, mail trucks, airport maintenance vehicles, etc. You can "recharge" them a lot faster than an electric vehicle with an industrial-sized compressor

Reply to
bitrex

I'm in Europe. Here we have cars that can manage more than 20mpg. It is an unmodified BMW 320d SE running in eco mode mostly on motorways.

Mine has an official mixed driving figure of 59mpg (UK gallons) 55L tank and an official range of 740 miles but in practice cruising on motorways on the flat you can get 80mpg. Lifetime mpg on ours is 61.4 after 158k.

My wife has had the range total up to 840 (but she drives a bit slower than I do). Its 6th gear would be wasted in the USA as your speed limits are too low to use it. Optimum fuel consumption is in the 60mph range where the drag is still very low.

They are somewhat on the expensive side though. Seem to go OK. A few enthusiasts do have them in the UK. Supercharger network is limited outside London. I just checked the network and the nearest ones to me would require a 50 mile detour to use. I am not in London...

There is presently only one in the entire of Wales!

We will see how well the batteries in these cars are doing after 10 years. My money is on them being dead in the water after about 5 years of heavy use.

Electric cars are at present only a viable solution if you are prepared to treat every trip as a planned expedition and figure out exactly when and where you are going to stop to recharge the blasted thing. It is more like 1920's motoring where you had to plan to reach the next petrol supplies before your tank ran dry than twenty first century technology.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

ote:

e bogus GGE is not valid. It is a simple calculation to take the gallons o f gasoline used and convert that to miles using the national average of 24.

7 or another average figure near this value. Then use the 3 miles/kWh figu re to convert the miles to kWh. Compare that to the total power generated in the US and you will find it is a fraction of the total, not several time s larger than the total.

You are talking about the charge that would actually be used each day, yes, that's the point. You don't need to put a full charge on the battery each day because you didn't drive that far.

My model X will be here in a couple of weeks and I'm not rushing to put in a 240 volt outlet for it. I tend to stay here for a few days without going out and can charge it off 120 volts in that time. Then when I do my weekl y trip I can either put a small charge on it or none at all and get back wi thout problem. It appears my electric billing has been changed so I will b e paying about half the rate for the electricity generation and transmissio n for off peak. It is still the same distribution charge though. Still, I' ll be paying around $8 for fuel with my weekly ~300 mile usage. Quite a sa vings from the $50 I'm paying now. Somewhere in there the electric car has to generate lower carbon emissions or there wouldn't be such a huge differ ence in cost!

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

te:

e check my

ble

ng

lem.

========================= ========

10k what? kWh, $????

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I can drive 70 miles off a dollar of charge or 40 miles off $3 of gasoline. The gas is more heavily subsidized than the charge, too.

If the "free hand of the market" actually exists to any degree in any rational sense at all clearly I'm paying for significantly less energy, everyone else will be too, so calculations of requirements of multiples of total US energy consumption that implicitly show that switching to electric will somehow require _more_ megajoules in a year than the energy content of all the gasoline burned in a year are pure crack smoking.

Reply to
bitrex

Total electric consumption, rather

Reply to
bitrex

At a huge efficiency penalty. I see references to air-powered cars with a range of 4 miles.

lunatic fringe electronics

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 8:20:52 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

ings for the quarter is $-3.61. That's over half a billion dollars. Howev er, now that they have production up to 5000 Model 3's per week, they will be bringing in around $3.25 Billion per quarter just on Model 3 production. So I would be surprised if they didn't turn a profit next quarter and for future quarters.

e to get in and invest in some Tesla stock. I'm expecting to see something around $2 a share for the following quarter. With an EPS bump like that t he stock price should go up if the price currently is factoring in every th ing important. But at $300 a share I'm not sure it isn't a bit pricey. Th e $2 quarterly EPS would be $8 a year or a PE of 39 which is high still com pared to traditional stocks... but hugely different from the current losses .

ny they can sell. In reality they have one product that will continue to s hip in high volume. I believe a model Y is slated to be produced late in 2

019 which should also be higher volume, so additional profit in 2020.

f the other electric car makers and makers to be have, a nation wide fast c harging network. That made all the difference in the world to me. Once I found they were ramping up the build out of the network, I realized the Tes las were practical electric cars. Other electric car makers talk about fas t charging, but the chargers aren't out there yet. Who knows when they wil l be.

Holly crap! I bought some stock the day before the quarterly announcement and got a ~15% bump over the next couple of days. Now Musk has tweeted he is thinking of taking the company private at 420 which would be a 40% retur n! I just hope I can hold the stock long enough to make it long term capit al gains...

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

saloon-320d-se-4dr-2018

There may be a few hybrids or diesels with this sort of range, but they are still the exception. But in the real world this is a meaningless issue.

800 miles is some 14 hours of driving. Who drives 14 hours without a pit s top??? There was that lady astronaut who drove from FL to Texas because of a jealous fit. She supposedly wore diapers. Do you wear diapers?

Why would you want to use a charger when you can charge at home? In the en d gas car owners will spend all their time driving to the few remaining gas stations while everyone else charges at home.

The cost of ownership is lower though. Since fuel is so much cheaper the c ar ends up nearly paying for itself.

How much money? I've already won that bet. I read someone has gotten over 500,000 miles on a set of batteries so far. They've been making the model S for some time now you know. They aren't brand new cars anymore.

You are such a silly boy. The car has maps and a live connection to the re st of the world. It tells you where you can charge as you drive. Yeah, it 's not as good as a gas car for sure, but the network is growing rapidly. This is the single biggest factor in owning an electric car for sure, but i s largely a non-issue in the US anyway.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

It's also the size and weight of the water tank needed!

Cursitor Doom

the point of a condenser is to reuse the water

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

"The stock had climbed slightly earlier in the day after the Financial Times reported that Saudi Arabia has quietly built a big stake in Tesla."

Oh, great.

Reply to
bitrex

Just because one dislikes Trump doesn't mean there's any reason to love neoliberal globalism. Musk is a neoliberal globalist through-and-through.

A Saudi-controlled Tesla with vehicles manufactured in Chinese sweatshops will be able to hammer the US domestic offerings on price handily, particularly when Trump's tariffs are primarily on raw materials like steel only and not finished goods.

Reply to
bitrex

s of

l 3's

n't

see

EPS

sure

or a

ill

to be

the

her

ow

ng

."

how many Chinese manufactured cars do you know of?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

China didn't sell smartphones or computers in the US for the longest time, if you think they're too backwards or intrinsically low-quality manufacturing to ever move cars in the US or Europe I think you're kidding yourself.

The crash test videos of Chinese-made cars from ten or fifteen years ago are hilarious/terrifying, sure. They learn fast.

Reply to
bitrex

But they know perfectly well about Western-style jingoism too and they'll be all too happy to play up a "Oh mr. white man me so solly no can do anything right" front if it's advantageous for them to do that. They've probably read Sun Tzu, after all...

Reply to
bitrex

sen

ebermann:

John Larkin seems to be incapable of learning what "efficiency" means. It's an input to output ratio.

Here he seems to be using the word where a literate person would have used the word "range".

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

s of

l 3's

n't

see

EPS

sure

or a

ill

to be

the

her

ow

ng

."

I think this may not be correct. I am getting quotes on board assembly and they are passing through to me some tariff costs on parts. :(

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

My wife has had the range total up to 840 (but she drives a bit slower

Not in Europe they aren't. The higher price of fuel here makes such cars much more common than they are in the gas guzzling USA. The petrol BMW

320i gets nearly 49mpg which is twice what you consider "normal".

No I generally stop around every 100-150 miles for a few minutes. Two experienced drivers in a car can cover 400 miles a day without exceeding recommended driving limits (further than the Telsa's range and much further than most of the other electric cars on the market).

Because the reason for owning a car with a high mileage range is that I spend a fair amount of time travelling away from home.

When the split is about 50:50 then I will seriously consider all electric but at the moment in the UK that is a long way from reality.

Lets see your sums to back up this claim. UK electricity is probably more expensive than in the USA and we are verging on the network failing because of bad government decisions leading to a serious lack of base generating capacity. Last winter they had to pay heavy industry to shut down their gas and electricity usage to stop the lights going out!

It is still an issue in the UK. Remember the Top Gear electric car driving challenge - they struggled to find decent charging points.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

saloon-320i-se-4dr-2018

You say they are much more common, but you still don't make the claim they are the norm.

400 miles is not 800 miles. You are supporting my points. While 400 miles is longer than 300, it is not a long stop to make at 150 mile to charge up . Actually, the first stop you won't need to charge up, then at the second you can just pause for 30 minutes to put 150+ mile charge on. The batteri es charge faster when you aren't topping it off.

That's a different point. You said above you would have to drive 50 miles from home. So make up your mind. Is the problem that you have to drive al l of 50 miles to charge or that the charger is *only* 50 miles away?

No one is suggesting you should use an electric car. But you don't speak f or anyone else and many are finding them to be the car they choose.

Charging cars at home is done at night when usage is not at peak... at leas t here in the US they talk about peak usage being summer 3 to 6-7 PM. I've even got a lower electric rate most of the day with peak rates from 3 to 7 . This will save me about 30% on charging my car at non-peak rates.

It would seem your electrical patterns are different, but the fact remains that you can charge cars nearly any time, including when at work if your em ployer gets with the program. The cars can be programmed to charge at non- peak times and I expect at some point there will be coordination with the u tility companies to provide careful control of both the car charge state an d efficient use of the grid. In fact, this can more evenly utilize the gen erating resources to lower the electric rate overall. What is the point of having generation capacity that is only used part of the day/night?

I never saw that. I don't drive in the UK. The fact remains that the Tesl a is the only practical electric car because of their charging network. Th ey are actively expanding this doubling the number of chargers world wide i n 2018. Now that they are billing model 3 users, I expect this expansion t o continue since it will become a profit center.

There are growing pains with electric cars. I expect in just 5 years thing s will be very different and in 10 years the cars will be very different. As production volumes ramp up the prices will drop and many more homes, off ices and public centers will provide charging access. Heck, here in the US it takes a *lot* to get approvals to add a gas station because of the poll ution potential (we had a lot of leaks in underground tanks in the 70's and 80's), but no one cares if you install a 100 kW charging station... litera lly! Ironically the most recent Superchargers around here have been added to gas stations which I think is not the best idea. I guess they are going for visibility rather than convenience. While they become easier for trav elers to find, if I have a 30-60 minute break, I want to be near restaurant s so I can get a decent bite, not gas station food!

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit