remarkable opamp

The data sheet is as impressive as the part itself. It talks about the things that most opamp data sheets avoid.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Looks a lot like the opa192,

which I'm still in love with.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It's very nice. Haven't actually had to use one for its best features, it happened to be the only high voltage (36V) precision amp without input diodes.

For its price, you'd think they make the thing out of gold!

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

71 cents by the reel. If you look at the overall specs - rrio, offset, speed, bias current, output current, voltage range, emi hardness - it's a bargain.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Rather spookily, 4 out of the 5 "Reference designs selected for you" on the RHS of the description page were BLDC centric designs. I've been doing quite a lot of research in this area this past week or two. Talk about "As if by magic..." eh! I did download a few of the more interesting PDFs though. Much good they're likely to do me now - materials that are more likely to make MEGO. :-(

--
Johnny B Good
Reply to

They look identical, except that the 192 has lower offset (Trimmed harder? Binned?) and costs a bit more.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

It was the quad, also I misspoke, the 4192. Hmm, don't know why I didn't see the '7 at the time, that would've saved a few bucks.

It was also low quantity. Nearly $7 in singles.

A reel is over $6k. I didn't need to waste a hundred times more money buying that, John.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

Oh, and that OPA197 looks like a very nice replacement for the four LM301As I'm currently using in a stereo 50WPC (8? speakers) bridged output amplifier I designed and built 30 odd years ago, based on a transistor assisted op-amp headphone driver circuit where the V- and V+ pins are used to drive a pair of complementary output transistors with their collectors joined to the op-amp's output pin.

--
Johnny B Good
Reply to

Well, we buy a lot of opamps.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Max slew rate is workable but still a bit low. Minimum operating voltage pretty much precludes battery operation. Otherwise it is remarkable. But isn't TI famous for shipping parts that don't meet advertized specification?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It will go +-18v rail-to-rail at 150 KHz. That's impressive for a cheap voltage-mode amp with low offset and pA input current. The really fast parts are expensive, have low gain and terrible DC specs, and (except for the THS-series) are low voltage.

Not that I'm aware of. Got examples? The data sheet talks about a lot of internals that are seldom mentioned. We did ban THS3062; we thought it was buggy/broken but TI didn't.

Analog Devices is more famous for making goofy parts, especially their mixed-signal stuff. Everybody messes up analog parts now and then, and rarely fixes them.

I'm using OPA197s in my capacitive-fuel-level-sensor simulator, where excitations are tens of volts at tens of KHz and low distortion is required. Using THS6022 too, another nice TI part.

The OPA197 CMRR is astonishing. I've been burned by amps that had otherwise great specs but lost it all to bad CMRR.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I wonder if it will actually work at 180'C with probably some reduction in other specs? That would make it interesting.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

The thermal shutdown is typically 140C Tj. You probably need an opamp that has no thermal shutdown.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I hate it when they do that, with no option to disable.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

They are out of pins! And there would be business complications.

Some opamps, like LM8261, have no thermal shutdown. Lots of current-mode amps too.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Some discrete transistors will work OK at 180 degrees and don't have a "thermal shutdown." Hey it was good enough for Apollo

Reply to
bitrex

Is that what complementary-symmetry looks like in Australia?

Reply to
+++ATH0

There are lots of ways of making a complementary-symmetry output.

That way has the disadvantage that you usually have to monitor the current going into each emitter at either rail, but every design has its own constraints and trade-offs.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

e-trim is what the spec sheet calls it. uV of offset and pA of bias current are the things I was looking for. (A few dollars more for an opamp doesn't make much difference to me.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

What impresses me, is the fact you apparently can read that grey on white crap. Is TI tying to hide something by purposely using almost invisible script? i gotts gnus fur yew..monitors do not do braille too well.

Reply to
Robert Baer