Telephone compatibility

Hello ev erybody. Does anyone know whether the Voice dialer security system found in Alarm systems designed for the US is compatibile with that for Austria or for the rest of Europe.

Hans

Reply to
Weinberger Hans

Probably not. Dialtones and stuff vary quite widely over europe.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I thought Dialer security systems were just telephones used to call memorized phone numbers in the alarm system.

Hans

Reply to
Weinberger Hans

Many may wait for a dialtone, rather than just dialing blind.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

My alarm system "seizes" the line,, by hanging up (reverse the polarity) any active call, then dials out.

You should see the panic that results when the maid inadvertently set it off... the internal horn is loud enough to hurt, then the cops showed up ;-)

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

So you think that one would work anywhere in the world? What model is your alarm?

Hans

Reply to
Weinberger Hans

It's gonna vary. Dialtones vary dramatically the world over.

Some modem chipsets, which some alarms are going to be using to dial, check for dialtone.

If you need to know, ask the manufacturer.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Alarm systems generally do not detect dialtone; they check line voltage to determine if the line is cut, and they have a seize relay to ensure that they can interrupt any call in progress. They also do not generally use modem chipsets (there are exceptions to both rules but mass-market appliances tend to use simple DTMF generators/recognizers). The system decides if communications startup was successful by waiting for a handshake tone from the central station, and a kissoff tone after the report session is finished.

Audio verification systems start by sending a DTMF report in the method described, then flag the central station to switch the call through to an operator after kissoff rather than just hanging up.

Sometimes there are special regulatory rules that require the alarm system to monitor and recognize PSTN-provided call progress tones, but this is not the norm.

Reply to
zwsdotcom