Tektronix 2215 - looking for schematic

source

like a

the screen.

should be

thing

from

really are.

There are always people selling manuals, both paper and CD, on eBay.

One outfit, QService in Greece, is putting out some *extremely* good- quality reproductions of almost everything in Tek's lineup. They are at:

The 2467B manuals I purchased from them are literally better than OEM quality, now that Tek has been selling cheap paper-bound Xerox copies.

-- jm

Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

John Miles

My old trusty Tektronix 2215 just kicked the bucket, I wonder if there's a source of schematics out there somewhere? Its got sentimental value now, it served like a soldier on daily basis for decades.

Vertical stage is half dead and won't let me set trace below the top 1/3 of the screen. The transistors in the output stage are ok, I suspect the negative supply should be

-15V (currently seems to be 8V). Its really hard without the schematic. This thing has no useful expected voltage markings on the PCB (the 496P spectral analyzer from tek had them and it was a breeze to fix).

In situation like this you see how crappy digital (cheaper variety) scopes really are. Missing my analog scope... smirk...

--
Siol
Rather than a heartless beep

I had the same problem with an old Philips - it was bad connections to the tube.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andersen

"SioL" wrote in news:N8qef.1199$ snipped-for-privacy@news.siol.net:

Check the ESR on your PS -filter caps.That's a high failure area.

The supplies are +30,-30,+8.6,-8.6,+5and +100v

W968 +30 W965 -30 W964/966 +100 W975 +8.6 W976 -8.6 W962 +5

These are all in a row near the small PCB next to the PS cage. (on the main board)

Unfortunately,I do not have a scanner for sending you the schematics.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

now, it

tube.

I tried this first, and a short to the delay line to see if it centers, no joy.

--
Siol
Rather than a heartless beep
Or a rude error message,
See these simple words: "File not found."
Reply to
SioL

By the way, I have the following Tek manuals:

-rw-r--r-- 1 ichudov users 8694919 Sep 26 2003 TEK-1502-OM-SM.pdf

-rw-r--r-- 1 ichudov users 3065929 Feb 19 2003 TEK-2246-OM.pdf

-rw-r--r-- 1 ichudov users 1685266 Sep 9 2004 TEK-492-492P-OG.pdf

HP

-rw-r--r-- 1 ichudov users 1325443 Nov 23 2001 HP-333A-334A.pdf

-rw-r--r-- 1 ichudov users 446809 Aug 28 2003 HP-5328A-HPIB.zip

-rw-r--r-- 1 ichudov users 21781248 Jul 21 2003 HP-8640B.zip

free for asking. In fact, let's exchange our tek and hp manuals...

Ignoramus15120

Gladly, if I get 2215.

SioL

Reply to
SioL

source

like a

I am trying to buy one just now and persuade the seller to e-mail it rather than mail the CD rom (which will take 10 days air mail to get across the pond).

I'd like to get the tek fixed and let the digital scope gather dust as it has been unless there was a protocol or something similar to analyze.

--
Siol
Rather than a heartless beep
Or a rude error message,
See these simple words: "File not found."
Reply to
SioL

Hi Jim!

You have provided some great clues here. I've noticed -8.6V and was almost certain this should have been -15V or -30V as it does not "pull" the trace south as much as needed.

In fact I've seen your old post and hoped my failure would be as easily fixed as yours, but it was none of the BFR96 driver units, unfortunately. None of the finals either :(

How about a digital camera? Quite useful as a "scaner".

I have to go tinker with it a bit now, its actually fun.

SioL

Reply to
SioL

"SioL" wrote in news:Cjuef.1204$ snipped-for-privacy@news.siol.net:

check the 340 ohm .5w MF resistors in the vert.output.Four of them.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Bingo!

Endlessly gratefull.

They is no visible damage whatsoever, I would never guess.

--
Siol
Rather than a heartless beep
Or a rude error message,
See these simple words: "File not found."
Reply to
SioL

Cmon, let us all in on it. What was the clue that led you (the person who suspected the 340ohms) to those resistors?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

suspected the 340ohms) to those resistors?

He had a problem with this scope a while a go, with similar failure. And he has a schematic.

Update: Upon removing the broken resistor I found a weird crack underneath and after removing the colour it looks as if a circular shaped part of film was chipped away. Its hard to imagine how this came about since these about 2W resistors do not even get hot.

--
Siol
Rather than a heartless beep
Or a rude error message,
See these simple words: "File not found."
Reply to
SioL

"SioL" wrote in news:uA_ef.1246$ snipped-for-privacy@news.siol.net:

I've seen a lot of MF resistors go bad with no outside clues. Also,in A models,they *changed* the output stage because of this.

B-) Yep.

Those 340 ohm resistors are 1/2W metal film types. I've seen the PCB underneath them get browned pretty good.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Not in my unit. They're 1W at least, probably 2W. The board was not browned either. Seems like another slightly different revision of the 2215.

That missing circular part of the film and the crack looked more like damage, done with a very short energy spike. But that couldn't have been the case.

Never mind, the thing is working and I owe you a beer. Coming to EU/Slovenia in near future?

--
Siol
Rather than a heartless beep
Or a rude error message,
See these simple words: "File not found."
Reply to
SioL

"SioL" wrote in news:kz5ff.1251$ snipped-for-privacy@news.siol.net:

Not according to the parts list in my TEK manual. And I know of no official TEK mods concerning higher wattage resistors for this circuit.Even in the revised "A" model,the resistors were still 0.5W 1% MF,which are larger than 0.5W carbon comp resistors.They just distributed the heat by using 4 resistors instead of two per side,and improved the PCB layout for better heat tolerance. Please remember that I worked on lots of these scopes,I was a repair and cal technician in TEK field service centers.(21.5 years)

Sorry,but thanks anyways! :-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

There are 4 so this might be it.

There's really no argument than :)

I'll be probably be in US/NC next March/April? :)

--
Siol
Rather than a heartless beep
Or a rude error message,
See these simple words: "File not found."
Reply to
SioL

"SioL" wrote in news:uHiff.1259$ snipped-for-privacy@news.siol.net:

No,that was 4 *per side*. And it was the 2215*A*,IIRC.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik