good books for lockdown reading

I just finished Night Witches by Bruce Myles, which was pretty good.
Mo doesn't usually like my kind of books, but I think she'll like that
one. Sort of an aerial combat chic flick. It would make a good movie.

Then by accident I spotted The Great Influenza on a bookshelf, by John
Barry. Thought we'd lost it. I'll read that again. It's about the
great 1918 flu, but has a much wider scope, a lot of background about
the history of science and medicine starting centuries B.C.

Barry wrote the wonderful Rising Tide, required reading for anyone who
lives near the Mississippi River.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGs2iLoDUYE

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
Re: good books for lockdown reading
snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in

  Why don't you read up on one about Trump's mobbed up criminal life?

Re: good books for lockdown reading
I've just read a couple of books on the Spanish 'Flu: Crosby's
'America's Forgotten Pandemic' and Spinney's 'Pale Rider'.  The first
2/3 of Spinney is a very good read about the actual pandemic, but then
she gets off into half-baked psychology.

Crosby was writing in 1976, well within living memory of 1918-19.  He
makes the very interesting point that although it killed more people
than WW1, most of them young adults, it left almost zero traces in
literature and culture.

I'm currently re-reading Diane Vaughan's "The Challenger Launch
Decision", which is a very good book indeed, despite being sociology. ;)

One poignant reminder of what America was like in 1996 is Steven Gould's
jacket blurb, beginning "For the tenth anniversary of America's greatest
tragedy within her finest triumph,...."

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

I have that. Another good book about really bad group-think is The
Hubble Wars by Chaisson.

When it was announced what was wrong with the focus of the telescope,
one scientist stepped out into the hall and vomited.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
Re: good books for lockdown reading
"Thinking fast and slow" is good I'm about at pg 300.

I'm reading trashy novels at bedtime mostly.
I'd be interested in 'good' trashy novel authors.

George H.

Re: good books for lockdown reading

Heinlein.

Re: good books for lockdown reading

When I was a teenager, I'd have agreed with you there.  Subsequently I
twigged to his, um, centrifugal religious and political views.

Restricting the franchise to veterans (Starship Trooper) might be
defensible in a society like ancient Sparta, but encouraging vigilante
justice (The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress) doesn't work anywhere.

And 'Stranger In A Strange Land' was apparently his attempt to retrieve
his bet with L. Ron Hubbard, who claimed quite correctly that he could
make more money starting a religion rather than writing science fiction.
Fortunately Heinlein failed, despite being a much better writer than
Hubbard.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

I should add Time Enough For Love, in which his hero Woodrow Wilson
Smith (aka Lazarus Long), by means of a time machine wound up screwing
his own mother as well as his daughters Lapis Lazuli and Lorelei Lee.

How about some nice Charles Dickens or Dostoevsky or Harry Potter or The
Hardy Boys or something more wholesome like that?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

He asked for trashy. :)

Re: good books for lockdown reading

ly I

.

Yeah I've got a set of Alexander Dumas novels from my mum.  They are OK.

George

Re: good books for lockdown reading

Did you ever read Around the World in 80 Days?  Lots of fun. The Mormon
lecture on the train through Utah Territory is LOL funny.

Re: good books for lockdown reading

  Well Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

  Naah...  I want the "air boat" in "The Mummy Returns"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! She's faster than she looks...
 And she's quiet. Real quiet. Perfect for sneaking up on people, which
is a very good thing."  -Izzy

Re: good books for lockdown reading
I've been binge-reading WW-II submarine (pacific theater).
Several are nothing more than gussy-up'd patrol reports, while others are mere testaments to some senior officer's ego.

A few however, seem to capture the true spirit and agony of those times.

Re: good books for lockdown reading

There is a 15 volume set of books by Samuel Elliot Morison on the naval history of WWII   Highly recommended

                       Dan

Re: good books for lockdown reading
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 19:05:47 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@krl.org"

Yes, I have the full set. I read it maybe every 10 years.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
Re: good books for lockdown reading

If after WW2 era stories, don't forget "Most Secret War"
by R.V. Jones head of British Scientific Intelligence.
("The Wizard War" in the US).

I read it when it first came out in the 70s, and again
a couple of years ago. It stands the test of time.

The only notable omission is Enigma, which hadn't
quite become public knowledge, and which he wasn't
involved in.

Re: good books for lockdown reading
On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 07:36:33 +0000, Tom Gardner

The Invention That Changed The World by Buderi

Tuxedo Park, Conant

The Deadly Fuze, Baldwin

Better read fast, this flu may peak soon.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
Re: good books for lockdown reading
 mere testaments to some senior officer's ego.

   I've enjoyed books from the time that I learned to read. I hated to read
 a book, just for a book report, so I would use one that I'd already read.
I wrote a report on 'Silent Running, four years in a row. It was my favorit
e WW II book, and one of my uncles was Ships Electrician aboard a sub. He w
as responsible for the firing controls on their nuclear tipped missiles. My
 other favorite book in the school library was an old copy of the ARRL hand
book.

Re: good books for lockdown reading

Try "Wake of the Wahoo".

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

experience of a German submarine.

The 1981 (!gulp!) TV series was and is superb, so maybe the
original book is good.

Site Timeline