Spud, the real question may be what he mixed with that water before drinking it! (Just kidding.)
Realise that there are many things that display the same symptoms as lead poisoning. I'd seriously be curious what an autopsy revealed and if so did it disclose any unusual levels of lead in his body, and what his cause of death was.
The solubility of oxide coated lead in water is normally so low that it cannot produce a health risk. Remember that the Romans used it for the linings of their aquidiucts, some of which are still in use without negative health effect of any note, after over 1,000 years. My home is plumbed with copper pipes that are joined by traditional 60/40 tin/lead based solder, but the amount of exposure of the lead on the joint is so minimal that it cannot be detected on water analysis (which I actually had performed). Lots of copper in the water though, so maybe it's time for society to return to galvanized pipe in the home if someone is overly concerned.
What concerns me most from a health standpoint is that the water supply from the street main to my home is some sort of a black plastic pipe, which may be PVC or HDPE. This supply line is over 100-foot long from the street, and it poses some concern for me since PVC is now resricted from use in water supply line plumbing.
On a more positive note, I'm now 67 and have lived in this house for the past 30 years, and suffered no ill effects. My children are now in their 30s and 40s, also having displayed no ill effects. I've also ingested small amounts of led fumes throughout the past 50+ years from soldering and working with solder pots, still without ever having any ill effects.
I have no doubt that the toxic effects of lead poisoning are now well documentated, but most of the case studies reveal these cases to be based upon small children that for some reason ingested lead based paints containing enormous amounts of lead by by chewing on products containing them, or by workers in industry who absorbed toxic level of lead fumes in the course of their daily work.
In closing, years back I owned a printed circuit board manufacturing facility in which the resist employed was a tin/lead solder plate. For gold plating the contact finger of the circuit boards, a chemical etch was employed to remove the solder coating before a cyanide based gold plating was applied. Curously, anyone that worked with this process was required to have a state lawy imposted blood test for lead, but not for the far more deadly cyanide. Still, no one including myself ever failed that blood test for lead. No one was tested for cyanide, which I assume if it doesn't kill you, is relatively harmless.
Just for the record, the real health hazard in the printed circuit business is not the lead, or cyanide, but organic solvents that we use in the process. Things like trichlorethylene, methyl and ethyl acetate, acetone, MEK, etc. None of these are federally regulated. Many of these are capable of making you feel a bit high or dizzy, then fall into an uncouscious state, with death immediately followiing.
Go figure. To me it's obvious that neither the regulators or the media have any hint of a clue.