Talking to myself

mpm hath wroth:

Fairly sure. I was watching a local company that was trying to replace the railroad bar code system with an RFID system. I tried to work for them, but was deemed unsuitable for some reason. Anyway, many of those involved were also graduates of the railroad bar code mess. Some history:

Interesting, because none of the readers were located at crossings. They were all intended to be read in the switch yards and only on boxcars. I have no idea what that light might be. I tried to find a photo of a boxcar with the bar code, but couldn't find one.

Dunno.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

It means people come into the store and check their emails rather than buy stuff. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Is that just for price checking on the spot, or do the scans get recorded for checkout? Here in Whittier, CA, the local Home Depot and Albertson's have self-checkout lanes. i.e., you scan your own stuff and bag it yourself. They have some kind of precision scale at the bagging part, so it can tell if you're stealing stuff. Oh, and there's an attendant watching about four of those self-checkout lanes, so if you tried to swipe something, you'd probably get caught. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise