Connecting bigger speakers to amplifer

My small Stereo says 4~16ohms by the speaker connections. I connected a larger speaker with a rated impedance of 8ohms. I presume that the stereo will accept any speaker with an impedance of

4-16ohms, basically I can use any speaker with an impedance between 4-16ohms? Do bigger speakers have larger impedances?

My original speakers are 5ohms.

Reply to
eswnl

I think when I connect larger impedance speaker it sounds quieter. I suppose because larger impedance means less power.

Reply to
eswnl

Since an amplifier produces a voltage, and P = V^2 / R, a larger impedance (R) is going to reduce power (P), forcing you to increase the volume control somewhat to compensate.

This says nothing of efficiency. Note that a 16 ohm speaker rated at

90dB/W-m will be louder (by 4dB to be exact) than a 4 ohm speaker rated at 80dB/W-m.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Yes, but I can't damage the amp. I think It's only when you connect lower impedance speaker that the amp blows, coz more current flows.

Reply to
eswnl

Correct.

Short answer: Maybe, maybe not.

Longer answer: It depends on the specifics of how they're built. Varying physical size has anywhere from some to little to no bearing on impedance. It's all about the electrical impedance the coil presents to the amplifier, which is a function of its size, how it's wound, what material it's wound from and on, the properties and positioning of the magnet and any associated pole pieces, and probably other things I'm just plain forgetting about right now. There's a regular laundry list of details that can be tweaked when designing a speaker. If you know what you're doing, you can adjust the parameters to get a 4 ohm (or less) speaker that's 50 feet across, or a 32 (or more) ohm speaker that's 50 millimeters across, depending on exactly what properties you're shooting for in the design phase.

At least in theory, you could hook up speakers of whatever impedance you like, but go too high, and you'll find you start losing volume (the amp can only push so much juice to the speakers to make 'em jiggle - another design tradeoff) while going too low could cook off the finals in your amp. (The engery has to go SOMEWHERE, and if the speakers aren't soaking it up, the most likely "sponge" would be the final stage of the amp)

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn\'t on my whitelist,
or the subject of the message doesn\'t contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow"

--- How is anybody supposed to know who you're responding to or what you're talking about?

Read this:

"Summarize what you're following up.

When you click "Reply" under "show options" to follow up an existing article, Google Groups includes the full article in quotes, with the cursor at the top of the article. Tempting though it is to just start typing your message, please STOP and do two things first. Look at the quoted text and remove parts that are irrelevant. Then, go to the BOTTOM of the article and start typing there. Doing this makes it much easier for your readers to get through your post. They'll have a reminder of the relevant text before your comment, but won't have to re-read the entire article. And if your reply appears on a site before the original article does, they'll get the gist of what you're talking about."

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

Ya, pretty much. If it's rated down to 4 ohms, it should be okay (if not, I don't see any reason you couldn't like, sue them or something, not that that would be worth it).

Because, according to threading, it appears to be following my post?

Not that the post addresses anything in particular. Following previous behavior it would've been as well placed at the bottom of this thread. For sure, if any even vague points are being replied to...they should be forwarded in the post.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

--
Who would know that without going back and looking at the chronology
of the thread?  For this thread it would be relatively easy because

You don't have threading set in your newsreader or something?

I have two panes, one for threads and one for messages, plus another for what group I'm in. I only need a glance from my reading to see where I'm at. Google has the thread layout on the left-hand sidebar by default (or if you set it.. I forget if they changed the default) and messages in main.

Ouch, whaddya use, a text reader from 1987? Your headers say Agent, which surely is new enough to graphically show threading? I've never used it. If it doesn't, it probably wouldn't hurt convienience to upgrade.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Tim, whst do you expect people to do when the original message doesn't arrive at their news server, and there is no quoted text? Do you expect people to go to Google and look for it? Or, the orginal message has expired and is no longer on your news server. I get about

10 months on text newsgroups, but only four or five days on binaries groups. Someone just replied to a 2001 mewssage about an isolation transformer, and the old messages are long gone.
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I don't think my contribution would help you as I have never used anything smaller than a 1,000 watt amplifier. I eventually phased them out and replaced them with 1,400 and 1,600 watt amps that didn't have to be run near their max level which was blowing speakers at the rate of about two a month.

Running a 1,600 amp at 1,200 watts is less likely to blow a speaker than a 1,000 watt amp running at 900 watts. Speaker reconing was down to only one a year.

The reason is this...running an amp near its limits will cause the peaks of the input signal to flatten out. This creates higher frequency distortion products that do the actual blowing out of the speakers.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Or better even, I might have plonked the poster before, so then the message appears completely out of context.

--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy

Usenet statute of limitations... ignore posts on threads months old, and especially posts without quoted text. ;-) In that event, it's like...wtf was the person trying to add to an already closed discussion anyway?...

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

I think it might be time to write a filter to delete any message what doesn't start with > if the subject line begins with re: . Add that to a "Google Groups" filter and the newsgroups would be a lot better.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida