Resistors in series/parallel

What will be the combined resistance of this combination of resistors:

Thanks in advance,

Joachim

Reply to
Joachim

This is a classic problem for circuit analysis classis as the diamond shape configuration throws alot of people off. In order to determine an equivalent value, it is necessary to pick the problem apart in smaller step.

First, redraw the circuit in a more familiar form with the resistors drawn horizontally and vertically.

Once that is done, you should be able to see that the circuit is a simple series - parallel combination. Proceed through the circuit, simplifying the parallel combinations to get the single value equivalence.

Reply to
Noway2

  1. Tim

Tim Williams

(R1 || R2) + (R3 || R4).

Or not.

Reply to
John - kd5yi

Thanks for your help, I would be happy if you could now help me confirm this:

R1 = 1/2 R2 = 3/2 R3 = 1/2 R4 = 3/2 R5 = 1/2

Does Rtot = 3/4 ?

Reply to
Joachim

Use the PI -> WYE conversion formula for R1,R2,and R5. That simplifies it...

ra=r1*r2/(r1+r2+r3) rb=r1*r5/(r1+r2+r3) rc=r2*r5/(r1+r2+r3)

Then, r = ra + parallel(rb+r3,rc+r4)

so

r = (r1 r2 r3 + r1 r2 r4 + r1 r2 r5 + r1 r3 r4 + r2 r3 r4 + r1 r4 r5 +

r2 r3 r5 + r3 r4 r5) / (r1 r3 + r1 r4 + r2 r3 + r1 r5 + r2 r4 + r2 r5 +

r3 r5 + r4 r5)

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

One cannot inquire into the foundations and nature of mathematics without
delving into the question of the operations by which the mathematical
activity of the mind is conducted.  If one failed to take that into account,
then one would be left studying only the language in which mathematics is
represented rather than the essence of mathematics.
- Luitzen Brouwer
Reply to
Bob Monsen

Please,

Do your own homework... We already graduated but on our own.

Fester

Reply to
Fester

"Joachim" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Joachim,

That's hard to say without knowing the values of the resistors involved. Besides, aren't you supposed to find the solution yourself?

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Yes.

Reply to
John - KD5YI

This is a classic Wheastone bridge.

Look it up (Wikipedia has a good article :

and learn about it.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Cute. Now, try R1/R3 != R2/R4.

The OPs homework was probably presented with these values, and he tried to derive an equation for the resistance, without realizing that R5 doesn't pass any current... The problem is a bit harder if you don't notice that fact.

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

Ah, Why, ye Gods, should two and two make four? - Alexander Pope
Reply to
Bob Monsen