To CMOS or Not

I know the main advantages of using CMOS ICs are to reduce power supply requirements and to provide a higher noise immunity. What I don't know is when CMOS ICs are not called for. What are the advantages of non-CMOS chips? Thank you.

west

Reply to
West

Bipolar: Low noise amplification, high bandwidth, low offsets, precision...

But the best of both worlds is BiCMOS.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Bipolar ECL, or better yet SiGe, when you want to go faster. See the OnSemi Eclips Lite and GigaComm parts, or the Analog Devices comparators. 40 ps edges! TI has a 5 GHz opamp, maybe SiGe.

InGaAs when you want to go really fast. Hittite and W-J and such.

Bipolar for high voltage swings, too, like voltage regulators.

John

Er, second breakdown? MOSFETs..!?

Tim

Tim Williams

There aren't a lot of high-voltage cmos processes. Supertex has some display drivers. AT&T used to have a 350 volt linear cmos process (Apex used it) but I think it's gone.

There are those IR high-side mosfet drivers; I'm not sure how they work inside.

John

John Larkin snipped-for-privacy@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

There are also some special functions like log amps, and multipliers that may not have a reasonable CMOS substitute.

Reply to
JosephKK