High speed, high Hfe complementary transistors?

I'm designing an IGBT gate drive. I need a complementary pair of high gain, high current transistors capable of switching in under 200ns (Zetex would be perfect, but all the datasheets I've looked at seem to be in the 600ns range).

Or (since someone's probably going to post about it whether I like it or not) you could give a suggestion for a high/low side (half bridge) IGBT driver rated 600V.

Through hole suggestions please.

Tim

Tim Williams

"Tim Williams" a écrit dans le message de news:d_35f.8024$ snipped-for-privacy@fe04.lga...

gain,

be

Use the ZTX618-619/718-720 from Zetex. They are absolutly perfect for this. The timing you're mentionning are not switching time: they include the storage time as well. More, these times are for saturated switching, which you won't have for a CC output stage and a capacitive load. You'll be in the few 10s of ns range.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Ok, but if the follower had to respond in the opposite direction in under

0.5ns, wouldn't one transistor turn on significantly faster than the other turns off, causing shoot-through?

(Yeah, it won't, but if there were say 40nH in series with a non-resistive gate capacitance, hmm that could never happen anyway with all the resistance present...)

True, I'll be hard pressed to saturate a follower, especially for much of the entire cycle given a capacitive load.

Thanks!

Tim

Tim Williams

"Tim Williams" a écrit dans le message de news:tEi5f.8682$ snipped-for-privacy@fe04.lga...

resistance

0.5ns? And for IGBT drivers? Why not asking for ps?

Do you understand that 0.5ns is 15cm light travel?

Sorry to say that, but I guess you have to get down on earth and better understand all the details of how your bridge works, where the parasitics are, how to wire your system to deal whith them,... Then you'll get more realistic figures, much more than pulling them at random from your hat.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Oops, 0.5µs.

(Unfortunately the rest of your post has no content to continue this conversation.)

Tim

Tim Williams

"Tim Williams" a écrit dans le message de news:z6u5f.6$ snipped-for-privacy@fe06.lga...

500ns... piece of cake.

Go for the Zetex.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

No, I think it's really much closer to 0.5 nSec.

c is approx 1 ft/nSec. 15 cm is approx 1/2 ft.

That's in vacuum, though, so it will be slower in wires, but only by

25-35%.

-

Jim Adney