Super-tiny ferrite rods anywhere?

I recall something like $9 for a Piconics. That's not bad, if it replaces a dozen parts in a bias tee.

Mini-Circuits makes some cheap surfmount bias tees that aren't bad.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

No, I've just seen hollow fiber in some of the optics mags.

A bit of googling gives a bunch of hits.

Why not draw hollow fiber with the ferrite already inside?

But they do have the technology for getting ferrite epoxy into coils wound with #40. Wave some serious volume at them and see what happens.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I thought that was Corning, but I guess there could be more than one company doing it.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Then you visit a French restaurant and the price goes up by another 1000%.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

But it's go-o-o-od eats! ...Jim Thompson

Corning is another name in super-zoot ceramics, yes.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

These microscopic tubes are formed by heating until soft and then stretching a thin glass tube which starts off at about half hole by diameter, I think the hole to wall ratio is conserved during stretching.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

down to or down by?

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

Am 22.12.2012 00:02, schrieb John Larkin:

And with a really slim form factor, there is as much air gap as way through ferrite, so the ferrite buys a factor of 2 at best.

regards, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

I discusesed with Valley Design

at a Optec fair in Germany. They're doing mostly optical, but your size requirements sound like them and handling ferrites might be doable by them.

--
Mikko OH2HVJ
Reply to

Rather than trying to wind a cylinder could one etch a flat spiral from a 4-ish mil ferrite layer on a nonmagenetic substrate? Just a thought.

paul

Reply to
Paul Colby

Sorry typo. "Down to" was meant. Now if we can only get 0.005" that might be ok. 0.006" maybe not so.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Germany.

Aha, and they are even here in California! Thanks, Mikko. I'll put this under the Christmas tree, will call them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Maybe I don't quite understand what you mean. Ferrite is non-conductive, but we need the inductor to be at least somewhat conductive. If it has a few ten ohms that would be fine though.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

A factor of two is HUGE for us. We would open a bottle of Trappiste that night to celebrate.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, I got that wrong. Better idea - etch a conductive spiral on top of a ferrite substrate?

Reply to
Paul Colby

I don't think anyone's suggested this idea yet, so how about rolling out th e ferrite cores between two flat plates - glass sheets perhaps? You'd have to absorb or mix ferrite dust into some sort of gummy medium that would be readily roll-able, but if that could be achieved then a pretty much uniform 5 thou diameter rod should be easily achievable, I'd have thought. Just ke ep rolling out and re-rolling until the desired diameter is obtained.

Reply to
orion.osiris

Yup, I talked about that with another engineer at a guide dog meeting yesterday. But the winding is not so much the challenge. We could get

52AWG wire, stuff one probably couldn't even see. The challenge is how to arrive at a ferrite core of this size.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's almost how centerless grinding works. Except now it would be centerless rolling :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I sure wish you would/could tell us what you're actually trying to do.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links