Ferrite core mounting, U- brackets anywhere?

Gents,

Is there a company that offers plastic or metal U-brackets of numerous sizes? Preferably domestic (US). Grainger and McMaster are rather limited in size choices.

I have yet another RF project where large ferrite cores are needed. This time squarish double-hole cores of roughly 1.15" by 1.15" and 0.56" high. And as usual the ferrite mfg offers nothing in terms of mounting HW, they all seem to assume that having such heavy cores slosh around or being buried under a blob of hot glue is going to be ok. I want to rivet them to a circuit board, or screw it down if needed. Cable ties are not so great because they become brittle over the years and break. Lacing cord would be excellent but people stare at me when I suggest that, probably thinking am a Luddite :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

What company are you using for your cores? I last did this in the late '80's, but I was able to get all kinds of mounting clips that were springy (so as not to crack the core), and thru-hole solderable.

Like...

for one example. ...Jim Thompson

Tried FormCo ?

cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

2 x "CAT. NO. 4325" one on each side of the core?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Check Lodestone Pacific and Robison. Both make lots of coil mounts.

John

The BN-43-7051 from Amidon top of the page):

The ones on page 5-43 don't look solderable and too big, our core would slosh around in there. But one of those in solderable and smaller would certainly be cool. Not sure if they'd sell to us after we celebrated their voting off of the island yesterday :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks. Guess I'll have to ask for a catalog on dead tree since they don't seem to have a web site ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Vaguely remembering... Fairite ?? ...Jim Thompson

If we absolutely have to. The risk is that a major hit during transport might cause one or both to rotate out of position.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks! Will write to them right now. In case anyone else is in need:

Couldn't find Robison.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Maybe, but then likely one they make for Amidon. You can't get it at Fair-Rite. The ones in their catalog aren't quite big enough for this application:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Sometimes it makes sense to mount your inductor in a shell, with pins maybe, and solder that to the board as a component. Bigger ones sometimes have a hole for a mounting screw.

I did this little one, with a Lodesone shell...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/L_Assy.jpg

which is surface-mountable.

John

Ages ago I used Ferroxcube. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Thanks, but looks like the don't have anything suitable under coil mounting products. But let's see what Lodestones responds.

Neat. Unfortunately most of the time I get RF projects it's higher power stuff. So I need the big old fat cores.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I had checked them. No mounts, not for such big cores.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

If I have a chance tomorrow, I'll scan the Catalog into a PDF and email it. I think it's just E-I core stuff but they might have something.

Martin Riddle

I believe the Philips Ferrite core line is part of them now.

Martin Riddle

Thanks, Martin, but only if that doesn't tie you up at the scanner.

I was kind of surprised that Grainer and McMaster had nothing. I mean, you can get everything else including salt and pepper shakers there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

--
And yet, you're right.

Years and years ago we used to use "mouse tails", elastomeric ties
thicker through the body than through the tapered ends, the ends of
which we inserted into holes drilled on either side of the object we
wanted to immobilize, then inserted and pulled on the ends until the
stretched, thick parts of the tie went through the holes.

After that, releasing the ends allowed the elastomer to expand, again,
catching the edges of the holes and exerting tension on the device,
forcing it to fall to, and be retained on, the surface of the PCB.
Reply to
John Fields

I've seen versions where the thick part would ratchet into the hole just like a cable tie but at a finer pitch. However, personally I do not trust plastics over the long haul. Some last forever, others give up after a few years. And you never know. Some day the elasticity has sort of evaporated and ... ping ... hiss ... *BAM*

This is for med gear so I don't want to take any chances. Machines like that can remain in service for decades.