fast analog mux

This is a Fairchild FSA3157 analog mux.

It's impressive, with switch rise/fall times below 500 ps, if you ignore the fine points. But it's too ugly for the application that I had in mind. And around 5 ns pulse width on S, the output pulse gets weird.

It would be fine for slow switching, 8 ns or so.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

What are you hanging on it? That 5 ns sag looks roughly right for some nasty reflection arriving from the other end of a cable.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

looks like a little reflection (transmission line match problems)

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Puh-leeze! I don't do nasty reflections.

I used a 470 ohm resistor from the mux output, then a coax to my 50 ohm scope, to make a roughly 10:1 passive probe. It looks like there's about 2 ns of break-before-make in the mux, and it goes hi-z there. So the 520r load discharges the capacitances during that 2 ns.

If I use a higher impedance load, the output pulse is nearly flat (well, there are some modest charge injection bumps) and the rise and fall get radical, below 300 ps.

I wanted to use this to make adjustable-amplitude fast pulses, which it will apparently do as long as I switch it for > 5 ns. That's too slow for my current app, so it won't work. But I thought it was interesting... the data sheets don't characterize switch rise/fall times. It's amazing the kinds of speeds you can get from 10 cent CMOS parts these days.

I guess I'll have to do something else.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Well, you didn't post a schematic, and I thought all that bling might have gone to your head. ;)

I use a similar TI part (TS5A23157DGSR) in lock-ins, and they work great.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The scope shot has the schematic, on the little yellow Post-It. I can never keep track of which scope shot is which, so I comment them with stickies.

I redid the test with an SD14 (hiZ 3 GHz sampling probe) and got this:

The USB switches are actually analog mux's. TS3USB30EDGSR for instance, 900 MHz analog bandwidth.

I got a bunch of different "3157" type parts to test, but since they all have break-before-make behavior, there's no point in testing them all just now.

So, to make a fast, clean, pulse with variable width and height, I need something else. Maybe an analog multiplier. Maybe a PHEMT pulling a voltage to ground. Maybe some diode steering thingie.

TEK and HP tended to do this, in their faster pulse generators, with custom ICs.

ADG604 is a nice signal-type mux. 280 MHz analog BW, +-5 supplies, and

1 pC. Only 20x the price.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That's the kind of thing you get with too much inductance in the leads/pads or the 2V source line, it's a less than critically damped overshoot.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred