Stop Light Design

I have aquired an old street stop light. The problem I have is that all of the lights stay on when I plug it in. I would like to make the light squentially turn on and off green, yellow, red, green... Like a regular stop light. I would think this would be fairly simple and inexpensive to do, however, the guys at radio shack seem to think it would be rather difficult. Thanks for any help in advance.

Jon marketing(removethis)@thejrcgroup.com

Reply to
marketing

Can you tell us where you acquired it? I'd like to know if there are any corners where I ought to drive really carefully.

Reply to
larwe

"the guys at radio shack" WOULD seem to think that it would be difficult... they would probably have trouble figuring out how to strike a match ;-)

...Jim Thompson

the controller turns the lights on in sequence. if you just have the light without the controller, you need to wire each socket with it's own wire, and control each light by itself.

mark

Reply to
Mark

I think that once you get the switching/timing working, you should hack in one of those IR proximity sensors used in security lighting so that when someone walks into the room the signal goes from green to yellow to red.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

Brute force quick and dirty:

start: 555 #1 turns on and drives the red TRIAC and turns the red light on for ever how long you want it to be on. When it times out it stops driving the red TRIAC and turns on 555 #2, which drives the yellow TRIAC and turns the yellow light on for ever how long you want it to be on. When it times out it stops driving the yellow TRIAC and turns on 555 #3, which drives the green TRIAC and turns the green light on for ever how long you want it to be on. When it times out it stops driving the green TRIAC and turns on 555 #1.

goto start.

--
John Fields
Reply to

--
Nah, just excessive.  three 555's or a 555 and a 556 would do it, or
just a single 553/554 ;)

--
OK, _that's_ funny!  Thanks.
Reply to

--
Huh?-) I'm quoted as having wrote, yet my wrotings weren't posted...
I'm vexed...

--
That'd be cool,  but how about flashing red?
Reply to

Can you say BASIC STAMP?

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics   3860 West First Street  Box 809  Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email: don@tinaja.com

Don Lancaster

Nah. Flashing green.

Reply to
Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.

--
I don't understand. What do you mean?
Reply to

--
That's kind of interesting, which city are you referring to?
Reply to

It's a far right-wing forum all right.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:45:37 -0500, Mark Jones wrote: ...

Is there a pool on how long he can leave this sequence running before it drives him bonkers? I say seven minutes or less.

;-) Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

  • PIC16F84 microcontroller:
    - about .00
  • JAL compiler:
  • PIC programmer:

JAL Code to (accurately) emulate the traffic light pattern:

include 16f84_04 ; timings are 4MHz include jlib ; standard library

pin_a0_direction = output ; configure pins A0-A2 as outputs pin_a1_direction = output pin_a2_direction = output

forever loop ; endless loop pin_a0 = on ; RED light on delay_1s(8) ; wait 8 seconds

pin_a0 = off ; RED light off pin_a2 = on ; GREEN light on delay_1s(15) ; wait 15 seconds

pin_a2 = off ; GREEN light off pin_a1 = on ; YELLOW light on delay_1s(4) ; wait 4 seconds

pin_a1 = off ; YELLOW light off end loop ; repeat ad nauseum

Reply to
Mark Jones

Heck, Win. Let's not be too hard on the denizens. They're mostly engineers, after all, who like stuff well-defined. Conservative politicians like stuff well-defined. Free Will is anathema to them, because it's unpredictable.

Forgive them Win, for they know not what they do. ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Mebbe mount it on a bathroom wall, right in front of the porcelain alter. Perching there initiates the green/yellow/red sequence. Upon red timeout, flush. End of sequence.

Reply to
Michael

When people figure out that death is not the path to eternal life, nobody.

Love, Rich

for further information, please visit

Rich The Philosophizer