Light Bulb Problem...?

I need to separate the glass globe from the metal base - does anyone know a way of doing this while still keeping the 2 halves intact?

I need to be able to separate the glass, from the base, remove the "guts" of the base and replace it with something else, and then superglue the glass back to the base so it looks like a normal light globe.

*YES* I know it wont work again after this.

*NO* Im not a bomber or an idiot, but close, Im a Professional Magician!

Cheers, Richard

Reply to
Richard Waters

Then use magic!

Just kidding....

There are diamond cutting discs you get buy that are made for use with dremmel tools. If you use it on the dremmel I would suggest very slow speed. Perhaps cutting the glass with the wheel by hand would work better. Or even a diamond file. Or a bottle cutter... There is a plethora of glass cutting tools out there...

Reply to
DBLEXPOSURE

See if you can source a diamond wire , thats a wire say with abrasive impregnated from your local hardware , I used to use mine in a fret saw

30 years ago.
Reply to
atec

Easier still, I remember from a kids science show - soak a piece of thread in methylated spirit, wrap it around the glass, light it, and then dip it into cold water. It should break in a nice clean line.

*Just like Magic*
Reply to
NetPlus Micro Computers (Shaw

So is John Howard and I can't help him either ! :)))))))

Cheers Jim

Reply to
Jim

"Richard Waters"

** Hot air ( from a paint striper gun ) or a gas flame played on the metal base should separate them.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Isn't this a landlord's recipe for getting rid of problem squatters?: bulb hooked up to a detonator, surrounded by a bag full of S**t. Squatter reaches for the lightswitch and BANG!!: the room has been explosively redecorated in a rather smelly fashion.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

In-choir to the factories that make the lamps

I need to be able to separate the glass, from the base, remove the "guts" of the base and replace it with something else, and then superglue the glass back to the base so it looks like a normal light globe.

*YES* I know it wont work again after this.

*NO* Im not a bomber or an idiot, but close, Im a Professional Magician!

Cheers, Richard

Reply to
Ben Dover

globe.

Richard - do you want to get inside the glass envelope or just separate the parts?

To separate, start with two - break the glass out of one, cut / grind / saw or etch the base off the second one.

rob

Reply to
Rob

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:00:44 +1000, Richard Waters put finger to keyboard and composed:

Many years ago I had a bad batch of globes that separated in normal usage. It was quite disconcerting to be watching TV and have a hot globe shoot past your head. I think the adhesive must have been magic.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I guess you read the post in a different way - I thought he wanted to just separate the base from the globe, alter the base, then reassemble - not break the glass

David - who would suggest the >

Reply to
quietguy

use a propane blow torch (or gas flame etc) to heat the base of the bulb until the adhesive in there lets go. (you'll smell it) That'll get you an intact glass part. and a metal part with melted solder,

if you need a virgin metal part too you'll need to take another bulb and break the glass out of it,

you may find that glazing silicone or hot melt-glue does a better job of sticking the two halves back together.

good luck

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

"Jasen Betts"

** That is just what I said earlier in this thread !!

I have used very hot air to release octal valves from their hard plastic bases.

** Yep - I wind up with a perfectly intact glass envelope and a slightly frazzled bakelite base.

Have managed to "repair" numerous expensive valves ( KT88s etc) where internal flashover had occurred.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Heat will do it! Use a butane torch and some welder's gloves. Heat it until the solder melts, should pull apart. Don't set anything on fire Merlin!

Reply to
lee

Shouldn't need to get it that hot. You are just melting glue. You will end up with the galss bulb with a couple of thin wires connecting it to the base-just pull- works everytime when the base is "stuck" in the socket- you end up with a bulb in hand and a base that has to be removed with pliers (power off please).

--
Don Kelly @shawcross.ca
remove the X to answer

WITH POWER OFF a safer way to remove the base is to slice a potato in half and impale the sliced end onto the socket. Twist it out!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

------------------ I did say "power off please" - that's a given.

I am just as safe using my pliers to twist it out. At least, if power is on I will trip the breaker. The potato is conductive enough to be a problem while the pliers I use have insulated handles (even without these, I am also deliberately not grounded and using myself to complete a circuit. ) . I have also run into bulb bases that need more torque than a potato would allow. Sometimes it is necessary to actually grab the rim of the base with needle nosed pliers and twist it rather than grab the central stem. However the potato does eliminate the problem with breaking off small pieces of glass and cuts from these.