Design to turn off the light

My Chrysler 300M has lights that won't turn off. I like to look at the star s at night with the radio playing and with my door open, but the lights don 't go out. I have designed an electric switch controller that I want to ins ert into the battery cable. Has another electronics designer provided a leg al alternative? In my design, the microprocessor power bus is intercepted a t 17 points, and I am hoping to find an off the shelf solution. It might ha ve a commercial name like, "The Off Switch".

Reply to
omnilobe

Would it be illegal to remove the offending bulb?

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

All sorts of stuff may go haywire if you kill the battery power to the whole car.

Can you see the Milky Way? I'm planning an expedition up in the mountains, to show it to some people who have never seen it.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

When you see the Milky Way in all its glory, it is an impressive sight indeed. I get to see it any night the humidity doesn't obscure it. Best viewed from a kayak on the water.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Indeed! Hard to believe some have not been away from the city lights and viewed the Milky Way.

Also, I have seen Andromeda with my eyes and with binoculars. Not really spectacular, but worth finding so you can say you have seen the furthermost object with unaided eyes. Best after a cold front has moved through. At least here in Texas in the winter.

Reply to
John S

I presume that the offending lights are the 'courtesy' lights that keep your feet out of mud in the dark...

So, examine the fuse box for a position labeled 'courtesy lights' and put a convenient pull-handle on the appropriate fuse.

Reply to
whit3rd

Rest foot on door switch ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Sounds like a very bad idea. Get yourself a lawn chair and an MP3 player.

Reply to
mike

Since most modern automotive fuses look like this...

Simply blow one and use it as a plug with which to bring out a wire pair and attach an external fuse in series with a switch. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

There appears to be a Control Driver for 2 banks of dome lights. Seems easy to insert a double pole inthere.

Martin Riddle

When I used to star gaze, hoods were strong enough to spread a blanket on ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Could you make a magnet to hold the door switch down ??

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Try closing the door... (plan B: a switch in series with the consent switch)

Reply to
Robert Baer

Mike wrote, "Would it be illegal to remove the offending bulb?"

There are twelve lights on in my car but I want zero lights on. The radio h as lights shining, the clock has lights on at night, the chime keeps making a gentle dinging sound, a door open light is on. I cannot remove all those lights so I use pieces of tape over some lights. The electronics design of the light bulb off switch in in progress. Thyak y'all for yur fuse notes a nd bulb theories. I am planning a new digital smart phone app :

The Light Switch App for MyCar

Reply to
omnilobe

You sound miffed. And maybe the suggestions didn't fit your problem. But you didn't define your problem very well. And wanting something "... to insert into the battery cable." has an air of naivete about it: the battery cable is that 1/2" wire that attaches to the battery. Inserting something there is half-assed.

Good luck, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt