HELP-Manual Stop Light for Children's Church

Hello. My name is Darin Roberts, I am the children's Pastor in Tarpon Spri= ngs Florida.

I have some experience in building ic projects from schematics, but have ne= ver really learned how to create the schematic my self. So far I have made = a 4 player quiz circuit, and a 32 channel random selector. Now I am lookin= g at wanting to build a manual advance stop light system.

I would like to push a button - dpst - having one throw go to a buzzer whic= h will sound for as long as the button is pushed. The second throw will se= nd a signal to the IC board to move the indicator from where it is to the = next color. Red (push) Green (push) yellow (push) Red...... I will use a = triac on each channel to power the A/C light in the Stop Light Unit.

As I said, I have a VERY small understanding of how and why different IC ch= ips are used, but I do have a few basics. I looked at using a 4011 NAND ga= te to make sure the signal from the switch is clean. From there, the best = Schematic I found was to feed the clean signal into a 74LS191n, to a 74std1=

54n with a 74F112n (this was for a Night rider light or a dragster tree).

My church is on a limited budget and I am also on somewhat of a time crunch= , so I have not had the resources to try to buy stuff and breadboard it out= . I would hate to buy parts and not have it work, and have to buy more.

Can you please assist me? I am willing to build it, and buy the parts, I j= ust need the schematic.

Darin Roberts

727-809-0926
Reply to
Darin

Florida.

[...]

need the schematic.

Very simple project for sure.

Will this be used by kids ?

If so, the push button will be pushed many times not just once per light change.

Would a hold off of say 1-2 (5-10) seconds help in keeping for lights from move Red, Green, Yellow,..... to quickly ?

I am sure that many people here can help you with all sorts of ways to complete this.

To re-cap the hardware:

1 input switch

1 output buzzer

3 output lights ( via triac )

To re-cap the functions:

a) Push button (make contact) b) Buzzer sounds c) light changes one state R -> G -> Y -> R d) Release button e) Buzzer stops

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Springs Florida.

never really learned how to create the schematic my self. So far I have mad= e a 4 player quiz circuit, and a 32 channel random selector. =A0Now I am lo= oking at wanting to build a manual advance stop light system.

ich will sound for as long as the button is pushed. =A0The second throw wil= l send a signal to the IC =A0board to move the indicator from where it is t= o the next color. =A0Red (push) Green (push) yellow (push) Red...... =A0I w= ill use a triac on each channel to power the A/C light in the Stop Light Un= it.

chips are used, but I do have a few basics. =A0I looked at using a 4011 NAN= D gate to make sure the signal from the switch is clean. =A0From there, the= best Schematic I found was to feed the clean signal into a 74LS191n, to a =

74std154n with a 74F112n (this was for a Night rider light or a dragster tr= ee).

ch, so I have not had the resources to try to buy stuff and breadboard it o= ut. =A0I would hate to buy parts and not have it work, and have to buy more= .

I just need the schematic.

Hi Darin, This sounds simple. Look up a MC14017 on digikey (or somewhere) Once you've got the input debounced (the hardest part perhaps) send the pulse train into the MC14017 you get three separated signals out. Then you just need to reset the thing on the third output. (I think just hooking Q3 to the reset will work.)

As for the power do you need big lights or would LEDs work too? If you do want the big lights then maybe three relays would be better than triac's. (At least that would be easier for me.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Hi Darin, This sounds simple. Look up a MC14017 on digikey (or somewhere) Once you've got the input debounced (the hardest part perhaps) send the pulse train into the MC14017 you get three separated signals out. Then you just need to reset the thing on the third output. (I think just hooking Q3 to the reset will work.)

As for the power do you need big lights or would LEDs work too? If you do want the big lights then maybe three relays would be better than triac's. (At least that would be easier for me.)

George H. ==================================================

Might be safer if you designed it to use leds and ran everything on 12 volts DC. Especially if kids are involved. Use a wall wart power supply and there won't be any certification issues, hence no insurance problems.

Reply to
tm

Easiest would be to "cheat" and pull something similar off the web, like this:

In your case you'd wire up IC1 (which is a simple NE555) as a one-shot instead of an oscillator. Meaning a push of a button results in a pulse of pre-determined length. That de-bounces your push button so you no longer have to worry about that. You'd also hang a buzzer on your push-button for the sound effect. You probably also don't want to combine and return to reset on an earlier count than they do.

Relays are best and safest. If you aren't too experienced my suggestion is to stay away from triacs because with those you would not have a real isolation between mains stuff and your low voltage circuit. Play it safe, especially with kids aroudn how might decide to open things up some day.

Attention: This circuit has a flaw, they forgot the flyback diodes across the relays. I'd use a ULN2003, it has 7 relay driver transistors plus 7 diodes built in and only costs about 30c in singles. Tie the COM pin to your relay supply voltage:

They also didn't handle the reset properly but you could just press the button until you get to the desired start position.

--
God bless, Joerg (a Lutheran)

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Florida.

[...]

Why are you doing this? If you want to learn how to wire hardware bits together, you're on the right track.

If you want to make something for the kids...a RESULT, buy an Arduino board or similar and do it in software. You'll learn a useful skill. You can make lots of different demos for the kids easily, once you get set up. The stuff is available at Radio Shack, but it's cheaper on EBAY. You can even let the kids edit the software. Everybody wins.

I'd bet you even have someone in the congregation who'd help get you started.

Or, you could just write a simple computer program that simulates the lights on the screen. Or use the parallel port to work the switches/lights. I'd bet you even have someone in the congregation who'd donate a computer and teach you how to do it.

Reply to
mike

The MOC3010 datasheet has a good triac driver circuit

cheaper than a solid state relay, more reliable, (if not cheaper than) a mechanical relay.

but yeah, low voltage LED is to be preferred if practical, if connecting LEDs directly fo thr '4017 isn't bright enough

Having a 12V supply, with the '4017 driving darlinton transistors driving perhaps 3 or 4 high-efficiency LEDs in series might be enough.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Totally agree. Use a micro board, interface it via a ULN2003 to relays.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

You still need the triac with this.

A Solid state relay in an MOC3010, a triac and passive parts in one package.

May not be cheaper than the two parts but is more convenient.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

You asked the reason - Result. Fast, simple, RESULT. As a children's mini= ster, I daily deal with kids on meds, family counsiling, web site maintaina= nce, graphic design, music......... It always seems I come up with great = theme ideas, just never sure how to get it done, and don't usually have the= time to study and develop another new skill. I know how to solder, I know= how to run wire, so learning to build IC boards was not a huge stretch, as= long as someone gives me the schematic with pin outs. Conect A to B, Pin =

2 to Pin 5..... I asked people in congragation, no one is in that field. = So I turned to groups. I appreciate all the help.

This circuit is actually going to be done 2 times, once for the boys side, = once for the girls side. If one group of kids starts to get out of control= , I push the button, and light goes to yellow - at red, their side does not= get to participate in games at end of service (time waiting for Adults to = finish). Sort of a positive peer preasure thing. One stop light for each si= de.

Reply to
kidpreacher

[...]

It would be more flexible, more reliable and a lot easier for you to use 2 spdt toggle switches for each side, and a single on/off switch (not shown) to turn Vin on or off. The circuit below will work with either AC or DC.

Sw1 Vin ---o o---------redbulb------+ \ | o---o o---yellowbulb---+ \ | o----greenbulb----+ Sw2 | Vin -----------------------------+

With the above, turning on yellow (sw2) turns off green, and turning on red (sw1) turns off yellow (or green if you want to go directly from green to red).

That way it gives you the flexibility to go from yellow back to green or from red back to yellow (or green) if you want, and the position of the toggles tells you what light is supposed to be on. With the push button scheme you are stuck going in one direction only, and an accidental push of the button would require cycling through to get back to the correct color.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

n's minister, I daily deal with kids on meds, family counsiling, web site m= aintainance, graphic design, music......... =A0 It always seems I come up w= ith great theme ideas, just never sure how to get it done, and don't usuall= y have the time to study and develop another new skill. =A0I know how to so= lder, I know how to run wire, so learning to build IC boards was not a huge= stretch, as long as someone gives me the schematic with pin outs. =A0Conec= t A to B, Pin 2 to Pin 5..... =A0I asked people in congragation, no one is = in that field. =A0So I turned to groups. =A0I appreciate all the help.

de, once for the girls side. =A0If one group of kids starts to get out of c= ontrol, I push the button, and light goes to yellow - at red, their side do= es not get to participate in games at end of service (time waiting for Adul= ts to finish). Sort of a positive peer preasure thing. One stop light for e= ach side.

Or maybe just a multipole rotary switch.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

minister,

I daily deal with kids on meds, family counsiling, web site maintainance, graphic design, music.........

It always seems I come up with great theme ideas, just never sure how to get it done, and don't

usually have the time to study and develop another new skill. I know how to solder,

I know how to run wire, so learning to build IC boards was not a huge stretch, as long as someone

gives me the schematic with pin outs. Conect A to B, Pin 2 to Pin

5..... I asked people in congragation,

no one is in that field. So I turned to groups. I appreciate all the help.

Sounds like a lot of work to replace two sets of colored paper dunce caps.

once for the boys side, once for the girls side.

Boys vs Girls???? This gets more interesting by the minute.

If one group of kids starts to get out of control, I push the button, and light goes to yellow - at red,

their side does not get to participate in games at end of service (time waiting for Adults to finish).

Sort of a positive peer preasure thing.

Sounds to me more like a stick than a carrot.

One stop light for each side.

Reply to
mike

Springs Florida.

[...]

Some questions for you.

Is this a one way street? (how many signal faces?) Will the signal be portable (stored away except on meeting days and times, lots of permit issues here)? Does the signal need to be reasonably "crash safe"? Do you already have appropriate signing, striping, and pavement markings?

Sorry, but this dropped in no more than the first circle out from the bulls eye of what i done for a living for the past ~20 years.

Think carefully about whether / how you wish to reply.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

package.

For anybody that cares the load switches in traffic signals all over the US are solid state (triac and control electronics) for the past 20 years.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

[...]

Oh, not on a street; big difference. That answers many of my questions.

How big of an indication in inches do you need? I am going to assume perfboard construction as that is what i would likely do in this instance. In general tell us more about what you want.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk