Question About IC Chips

Should the used pins be left unconnected or should they be taken to ground?

Reply to
<elehman1

ground?

It depends entireley on the device in use.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

I suggest leaving _used_ pins alone...;)

--
MVH,
Vidar

www.bitsex.net
Reply to
Vidar Løkken

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote (in ) about 'Question About IC Chips', on Mon, 28 Mar 2005:

You mean 'unused pins'. It depends on the device; you need to read the data sheet. Some devices require a resistor to ground or to supply. Some MUST NOT be connected to anything at all.

Newsgroups reduced to FOUR.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that Vidar Løkken wrote (in ) about 'Question About IC Chips', on Mon, 28 Mar 2005:

Once they have been used, they should be cut off and discarded.

Newsgroups reduced to four.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

Sell them on Ebay?

--
Luhan Monat (luhanis 'at' yahoo 'dot' com)
"The future is not what it used to be..."

Try reading the data sheet? On some I/C's spare pins are just floating objects... on others they may be used as test points during manufacture and are designated NC (no connection).

...Jim Thompson

That depends on the chip used. Generally, "inputs" can be grounded while outputs are left unconnected. Check the chip's datasheet for current consumption with inputs at Vss and Vcc, it might consume less power if the pins are pulled up to Vcc instead.

Reply to
Mark Jones

And everyone who replied meant to say: "It's entirely dependent on the chip used, and the circuit it's used in." In general, unused outputs can be left alone, unused inputs should probably be tied high or low, sometimes through a resistor, but you can't tell without a detailed schematic and a datasheet and/or application note for the specific IC used. I can probably think of a dozen examples of where my "general" rules above are wrong, for instance...

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Sorry for my typing skills. I ment to say:

What do you do with unused pins?

ground?

Reply to
<elehman1

If they're truly unused, it shouldn't matter. If they're connected internally, then logic should prevail.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

Vidar Løkken wrote in news:KbT1e.4113$ snipped-for-privacy@juliett.dax.net:

use a 60 watt iron to solder them all together. Draw a pentagram on the top side of the chip with twink.

DaveC

DaveC

The recommendation for logic gates is to connect unused AND gate inputs to the positive supply through a 1K resistor.

OR gate inputs are to be connected to ground.

Why this is recommended is obvious from the logic function the gates perform.

If the unused inputs are not logic gate inputs it gets more complicated, as Jim and others have mentioned.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Then stare at it intently, without safety glasses, and plug it in....

-- Colors that we see in fractals are really mathematical values represented as color. Math is really only a method we humans invented to understand and reproduce the world around us. I think it is important to realize that the universe knows no such math or laws. The universe just IS and we're trying to understand it.

Reply to
Mark Jones

It was only "necessary" for TTL, where the base-emitter junction following a strapped-high input could be stressed if forced into breakdown by excessive VCC. This is not a concern with CMOS, where, by the time an input gate is in jeapardy, so are many of the internal gates.

Another reason I've seen for strapping thru a resistor is so, during board test development, canned routines can be applied to the part, testing used and unused gates alike. It takes a tiny extra effort to not test an unused gate or ignore one that fails because its input cannot be wiggled enough. (That practise always stuck in my craw, since unit cost was among my responsiblities, but I heard it from enough different test folks that I guess it could be part of their lore of "good" practise.)

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

I know digital designers who do this as standard practice... it allows easily forcing a test signal when trying to track a fault.

...Jim Thompson

Some of the microchip datasheets say you should connect the MCLR input to VCC through a 10k resistor. I'm not sure, but I believe they are are afraid of SCR latchup, which can occur with CMOS inputs if there is more than some small amount of current into the pin above Vcc. Perhaps they have seen this happen during startup with a big cap near the power pin, or with glitches on the power rail.

I bet JT will know if this is really possible, or just an application engineer's fantasy. I think the newer pics don't have this in their datasheet anymore.

--
Regards,
   Robert Monsen

"Your Highness, I have no need of this hypothesis."
     - Pierre Laplace (1749-1827), to Napoleon,
        on why his works on celestial mechanics make no mention of God.
Reply to
Robert Monsen

these

One very good designer I knew (he's now deceased) not only adamantly required resistors on unused inputs, but edicted, "No system shall contain a one-shot." ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Anything's possible, but this is an ESD engineer's fantasy, not an applications engineer's.

Since tying MCLR to VCC prevents a differential, I doubt that anything untoward can happen.

...Jim Thompson

Unused inputs should be tied to either VCC or ground. If they are left open, it is possible the chip will start "oscillating", if the input is moving between on and off. This will probably not affect the chip, but may cause odd problems elsewhere in the circuit.

At one time, it was the military practise to attach unused inputs through a 1K resister to VCC. Doing this is longer thought necessary, just attach it directly.

Aidan Grey

Reply to
Aidan Grey