stampede

What's weird is that such people-crushing panics don't seem to happen in the US or the UK. Anybody who has been in the French Quarter at Mardi Gras, or Times Square on New Years Eve, will appreciate the potential for panic. But it doesn't happen here.

There have been some really nasty ones at european sports events, or the Haj.

John

So, tribal nationalism/localism or religious zealotry. Hmmm. What does the USA have that can instill such passion? Consumerism.

JeffM

Europeons are like a herd of steers... stampede at the snap of fingers.

Unfortunately USA-ians are getting there. Everyone farts on Obama's signal. That's why I avoid crowds... go to movies and eat out weekdays and stay home weekends :-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
           Only as good as the person behind the wheel.

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

We get them, at Wal-Mart's during Christmas sales ;)

I thought this was neat...

Westchester has something similar, Bicycle Sundays

Martin Riddle

I got caught in one (crush, not stampede) in Las Vegas on the sidewalk in front of the pirate show. People kept trying to get up front for a good view, and those of us in the middle were getting squeezed. I was with my two sons - I put one on my shoulders and someone else took the other. Eventually the crowd parted and I took the boys out into the street, which was safer despite the traffic.

Reply to
Richard Henry

It's lack of passion that prevents panics. It's probably our socially inherited British tendency to queue up in lines. Try buying something in a crowded store in Moscow, or better yet try getting into or off of an elevator there. Total push-and-shove hemispherical-cloud chaos.

Yes, that was weird. Greed, not fear.

John

We had a really bad one 20 years ago:

But it wasn't due to panic, just bad design, policing and crowd control. A disaster waiting to happen AIUI.

There seem to be some similarities to this one:

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Johnny "Trickle Charge" Lark> What's weird is that such people-crushing panics don't seem to happen

You're a damned utter retard if you do not remember the Who Concert at Cincinnati Riverfront Coliseum, 1979.

Out of eleven pairs of doors, only one pair was opened by folks with mentalities just like yours. Got a new nickname for ya, since you like making them up for me. Fits you well. Gives you that "maybe one day he'll catch up" aura. You've earned it, Trickle Charge.

ASCII ya later, "Trickle Charge". Bahahahaha!

Or should it be... Trickle Drain? Bwuahahahaha!

Reply to
Nunya

Johnny "Trickle Charge" Lark> What's weird is that such people-crushing panics don't seem to happen

Anyone else want to stand with me as a damned utter retard. I don't remember it! MikeK

Reply to
amdx

Cincinnati, home of Jerry Springer. So what would you expect? ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
           Only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Are you even old enough to have been a concert goer or an adult with enough brains to have caught the news piece back then?

Sorry for adding the criteria, but it should be common sense/not needed to mention. Some need the hand hold tho.

If you were around back then... What? were you in a friggin' stupor? If not... are those blinders hard wired? Take 'em off!

Reply to
Nunya

.

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Jerry is a fine man that is capitalizing on the rest of America's stupidity. It was ONE mistake he made with his checkbook. He is nowhere near the crook that we are seeing proliferate politics these days. His show is about us, not him. Odd that you missed that bit.

Reply to
Nunya

Yes I'm old enough, yes I have the brains, No it didn't make an imprint in my brain. Tell me why that bothers you. Maybe I can help you.

Common sense?

Tell me what you remember about the shooter in the South Bend church tower. No fair using google.

It's ok if you don't remember, I will harbor no ill will towards you. You see it doesn't matter to me if you have any memory of it. It doesn't matter at all. There's just no need to get yourself all riled up. Know lay back take a deep breath and start at the beginning. MikeK

Reply to
amdx

Here in America, we prefer to set people on fire! See link:

mpm

Oh ye of such lame recall...

Nunya

It's too bad that dimbulb (nunya) wasn't there, when it happened.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You wouldn't mean something like:

"there's a bus coming soon, be under it" ;^)

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Bitrex

Nightclub fires of that magnitude seem to be an almost annual occurrence in Russia.

Reply to
Bitrex

To me it seems to be less of a cultural issue and more an issue of inadequate planning for the size of the crowd that actually turned up, and then trying to funnel all those people through a single constricted area to reach the event. What was the point of that? It's a free event, no tickets to check, so I don't understand why the organizers set up this seemingly superfluous chokepoint.

They say the worst tragedies always happen not due to a single cause but a cascade of failures, and the stampedes with the highest death tolls always seem to happen when there's a combination of both panic and chokepoints that cause the panicked crowd to pile up, like the tunnel in the above case.

I've personally experienced situations in crowds here in the U.S. that could have easily lead to fatalities if luck had not been on everyone's side. There was a free concert given by Green Day in Boston back in

1994 I attended as a young man where organizers were expecting maybe 35,000 people, but in the end the turnout was officially estimated to be 65,000 and I'm sure it was significantly more than that, 100k+. The Phoenix described it this way:

"I?ve never been to a general-admission concert at which the front row was comfortable, but everybody nearest the stage at this show was trapped between Storrow Drive, the Charles River, and the barricades ? more prisoners than concert-goers."

Between the crush, the riot that occurred after the band cut the show short, and the overzealous BPD it is rather a miracle no one was killed. It's also the reason we Bostonians aren't allowed to be exposed to anything harder edged than The Guess Who at that location ever again. Then again, it was probably a dumb idea to have a punk band play a free concert at the Boston Symphony Orchestra's home venue in the first place.

Reply to
Bitrex