stampede

to happen

Quarter at

the

events, or

happened.

I was really surprised by the roads here in Alabama. Since we've been here we've taken daytrips around the secondary roads in the Eastern half of the state. The roads are *fantastic*, particularly compared to the crap in Vermont (1/3 of the roads aren't paved at all). The lack of frost heaves makes some difference. ;-)

I'm surprised FL's roads are that bad. It's been a while but other than a toll every twenty feet, I hadn't noticed that they were that bad.

Reply to
krw

to happen

Quarter at

appreciate the

events, or

happened.

They are a lot worse, now. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Get off the highways and onto city or county roads. Of course, the last time I was on I-10 you couldn't go more than a few hundred feet without hitting a chuck hole. That was about 18 years ago. It was a dangerous road, with the semis trying to avoid all the holes. :(

I can show you a lot of unpaved roads in Florida.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Like I said, I find that surprising. Alabama is by no means a rich state and the roads are in fantastic shape.

I've not seen one here. I had to tell our VT real estate agent "no dirt roads". They're often impassable in Vermont's "mud season".

Reply to
krw

A lot of Florida roads are built over sand. No matter how much they try, it still is a poor roadbed. The highways get a thick layer of gravel or crushed coral before the road is paved, but the lesser traveled roads don't. In fact, some developers cheat and put a couple inches of asphalt over compacted sand or dirt. Then the county won't accept them for future maintenance.

I saw bad roads in Alabama when I lived there, almost 40 years ago. The highway from Ft. Rucker to Dothan was nice, but a lot of other roads were cracked, or very narrow. Dirt roads weren't rare, either.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell