that weird T502 board

We finally got a batch of boards.

None of the board houses minded making the three v-score breakaways.

Tiny, in this case some 50 mil high, reference designators don't seem to be a problem these days. These look ink-jet printed to me.

My test capacitor is upper-right, layer 1 to the layer 2 ground plane. If the board was fabbed exactly to the fab notes, Er works out be

4.63. Saturn assumes 4.6 for FR4. The TDR test trace is close to 50 ohms.

Gotta build some and see if they work.

Looks like you added a pad under U11 and U17 for heatsinking, then some PTH to enhance that function.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes. U11, U12, and U15 all dissipate enough power to get hot, so they are heat sunk to the internal power planes through vias. Their gains and prop delays change with temperature, so we want to minimize heat rise.

U15 is a an HMC659, a $300, 15 GHz distributed amp. Its recommended bias is 8 volts and 300 mA, which is a lot of power for a tiny chip. It needs that to swing a lot of sinewave RF output. I'm using it to make short negative 6-volt pulses, so I bias it at 9 volts and 45 mA, about 400 mW.

The Saturn software computes via properties, including inductance and resistance. The electrical resistance value can be used to estimate thermal resistance.

Regulators U3 and U8 and U9 also have thermal vias, which makes them a bit more stable. This is a 6-layer board with four copper planes, so heat spreading is pretty good.

My production people hate those vias. They think they steal their precious solder paste. I hope they do.

Reply to
jlarkin

  • They will, if the via/drill size is small enough; do not know how big the hole can be before the solder paste will not fill it (size threshold). I know hole drill size #32 does not get filled without manual help.

However, it seems to me more holes per square inch would give better thermal conductivity if enough copper connectivity between them (that argues/limits holes per square inch).

Gotta be a way to calculate this for optimum drill size and holes per square inch. Better add in copper thickness.

Reply to
Robert Baer