Stalled EV

Now is as practical as any time. You don't have to be the last to convert before 2040 as you claimed. Unfortunately, there will be plenty of people like you who would defer switching to EV until the last moment, well after 2040.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Maybe you see complaints of Tesla chargers not working, but Tesla chargers are in groups of typically 8, up to 40. I've never seen a defective Tesla charger causing a problem with charging. There are multiple reports by people on cross-country test trips, being stuck because they came to a non-Tesla charging site and could not proceed because of charger malfunctions. I guess it's just coincidence that this happens to people giving BEVs a trial run?

I'm not changing the subject and I'm not trying to advertise anything. I'm reporting the facts of BEVs. While the non-Tesla chargers claim to be much more numerous, the reality is they are counting the level 2 chargers that are not effective for long trips other than overnight, and "fast" chargers that are far too slow for in route charging, such as the 50 kW Chademo chargers.

I will actually be using one of the slowest Tesla chargers tomorrow. On my way to the airport, I need a charge because of my 12V battery failing, causing the car to lose 6% of its charge per day. The closest one is a 75 kW "Urban" charger (a poorly thought out idea from the early days of Superchargers) which will give me time to have lunch without rushing. So it's not all bad.

Your opinions are of literally no value to the issues of BEV charging, due to the nearly insane efforts you are willing to go through to drive what is barely a golf cart on highways. You clearly are outside the 99th percentile, so are not remotely like the car buying public.

But once in a while, you come up with some interesting facts.

Reply to
Ricky

I guess they just don't make good use of it then, since the users seem to find it problematic.

Reply to
Ricky

You are twisting my statement. I said many Tesla drivers complaints about public (non-Tesla) chargers. They obviously use non-Tesla public chargers, unlike you.

A single L1 charger (perhaps driven by generator) between Tulare and Delano would be enough to bridge the gap. The fact that they don't care to provide a simple solution means that it is not a priority for them. But it's a priority for drivers not to drive EV between the locations. I probably could have made the gap, but why bother when there is a easier way with the detour.

In fact, I carry a solution with me (L1 + generator). I don't use it unless absolutely necessary.

Perception of the public is that the governments are insensitive to EV needs and would hesitate to switch to EV.

See what they do, not what they say: Government supports EV charging, but real action leave something to be desired. Bill in Australia might get a EV before 2040,but likely keeping ICE as main vehicle. He claim to care/understand the env; so he is in the "likely" category. However, there are still many "probably", "improbably", "unlikely", "definitely not" and "absolutely not" drivers.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Sorry, I didn't catch that. Yes, some people buy the adapter and using CCS chargers, but not so many. There's very little need. I've looked, and there are relatively few CCS chargers where I drive, other than the low wattage units installed at Royal Farms and similar places.

Sorry, but I've explained before that your use case is unique in the world of BEVs. Literally no one else in 100,000 BEV owners would consider using an L1 charger in any but the most dire circumstance. Also, they don't try to drive a couple of hundred miles on a 40 mile battery.

Meaning, you should have bought a hybrid, and been done with it.

What does the government have to do with it. Driving a Tesla has nothing to do with the government. Are the other brands somehow only enabled if the government gets involved? Sounds like something to avoid, if at all possible.

Yeah, lots of people have lots of opinions. The reality is we will all be driving BEVs by 2040 or so. It's a matter of lack of choice if nothing else. Once we reach 50% BEV ownership, the tipple will flip over and gas stations will be closing en mass, service will be disappearing and the resale value of an ICE car will plummet. There will be one in a hundred who clutches his ignition key and buys gas at McDonalds... lol But everyone else will realize BEVs are very practical and that it's just not the problem that the John Larkins of the world try to make it.

Reply to
Ricky

No, they are using the ChaDeMod adapter. I see Tesla with them all the time. You are not looking or choose not to look. May be we are in different Tesla universe.

I only need it once or twice a year. Why carry extra all the time.

I don't see it happening. There were 800k EV out of 13M sold last year. Tesla is around 60%. I don't see it ramping up to millions, not by 2040, perhaps 2050, 2060, 2070, 2080 or 2090.

In case you haven't notice. Tesla dropped prices 5x to move cars. They are not thinking expansion.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Doesn't work for "TomTom detours", because none of the locals take them. No traffic, no info.

Or, they are indeed local people that know that detour and how to run it fast.

Yes, so does the TomTom.

Carlos E.R.

TomTom does have real time information of their own. Doesn't mean the information of one of their funky detours is good.

Sometimes Google maps, if I have it running at the same time, offers similar detours.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

It is a different contract, that works with their connected gadgets. You share your data, you get data back. If you opt to not share, then you also do not get real time data back. In a busy city it works pretty well. In a village, not that well.

Depending on the particular gadget you buy, the contract is included or not.

But then, if there are few clients in the area, they don't have actual time info for a road.

And mind, I was talking about the detour itself being OK, but the joining back to the main road, which is a simple spot, is bad. This is not just a question of timing cars, it is about having raw information about the quality of a road and the crossings.

Then there is the case that many such detours may be marked in maps for a speed limit of 90. When you get there, the actual limit is 30. Or it is indeed 90, but it is full of potholes.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Could it be because that car TOLD him it could do it? Is the Rivian SO STUPID it doesn't know he is going over a mountain pass? Apparently so.

Reply to
Flyguy

Oh, the IRONY of it all! You buy an EV to divorce yourself from fossil fuels and you end up carrying both the fuel and an ICE to bail yourself out. You still haven't cut the apron strings.

Reply to
Flyguy

Not a lot of irony in that. Using less fossil carbon is a good thing. Not being able to cut the apron strings all at once is just practical politics.

Climate change denial creeps accuse the greens of wanting to take society back to the stone age so that it can transition to zero CO2 emissions immediately - which would be totally stupid, and kill a lot of people - then pillory everybody who isn't that silly as being hypocritical, which may strike them as a great debating tactic, but strikes everybody else as demented idiocy.

And Sewage Sweeper is a seriously demented idiot.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

An EV isn't transport, it's a hobby.

Not really, i might only use one gallon per year for emergency, that's just vapor as compared to other ICE drivers.

On my way south bound pass the LA mountain, i used 11KWhr for 13 miles from 2500ft to 4000ft. Going north would need around 18KWhr for 30 miles from 2000ft to 4000ft. I did it last year with 20KWhr battery, but lost around 2KWhr since then. I picked up another 3KWhr battery, but would need a few days to make 64 connections. It's for next time.

Van Nuys Nissan Fast Charger says 30 cents per KWhr, but it won't take my Visa or American Express. A nice salesman just came over to chat and punch in his code for a courtesy charge. Well, perhaps it's by design, real life Nssian Ad for charging.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Well, it's an experience. Take 30 minutes at a Nissan dealer to free charge the Leaf, free half-charge my laptop and chatting on SED, 2 cups of free capucinno and 1free rest room visit. If Tesla dealer can match that, perhaps I'll switch. But first, need to find a Tesla dealer.

Reply to
Ed Lee

How far do you have to drive to find a dealer? And does the dealer always have an empty charging stall ready for you, any time of the day or night?

There's more to life than FREE. Some peoples' time has value too.

How about one of the many Superchargers that will charge the same kWh in a third of the time? They say time is money, but clearly your time is less valuable than a cup of coffee if you are happy spending a half hour to get a cup and 50 miles of driving. Your average speed is probably faster than a walk... well, at least a bit faster.

Reply to
Ricky

Between SF & LA, around 3 on my route, no detour. Plus 4 CalTran fast chargers. I know, it's not enough, but good when I have to do business close to any one of them. I rent storage spaces close to them; so, it's continence when i move things around.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Many of them are free, including this one. I think it was free before, after hour, without salesman to punch in.

I only need to do long distance couple of time a year. Very often, i just use the Tracy Nissan several times a day FREE, plus CalTran 30 miles south on I-5.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Who cares? I get my Supercharging for free, simply because I bought my car early, when Tesla had promotions, shortly before the model 3 ramp up. Fine, but it's not that big of a deal. If my choice was to pay for topping off in 10 or 15 minutes at a Supercharger, or free charging at a level 2 charger, I'd go for the Supercharging any day of the week. Some people just don't have anything better to do than wait for their socks to dry or their cars to charge.

When I talk to people about BEVs, I try to hide the fact that I know of you or anyone like you. But then, there are people who make their own biodiesel and emit french fry smells as they drive.

Reply to
Ricky