Stalled EV

LOL! I'd love to drive on your highways. The main reason I hate driving is the other drivers who slow up for no reason, speed up and ride my bumper for no reason and generally are a PITA to deal with. City driving is simple in comparison. You know the traffic is going to move as soon as the light changes. There's little anyone can do to get ahead as every lane moves at pretty much the same speed. Just don't hit the guy in front of you and it's mostly easy.

Duh!

Hardly. My biggest worry are the trucks that speed down hill, slow going up hill and make it hard to get past them. I've had headlights in my rear view mirror that are so close, I can't see the license plate. No, city driving is trivial in comparison.

Reply to
Ricky

OK, i'll get some pure-gas 222 miles away from here. I only need it to get out of LA.

Reply to
Ed Lee

On Thursday, 27 April 2023 at 05:32:38 UTC-7, Fred Bloggs wrote: ...

Tesla does exactly that (It takes into account weather and traffic as well as vehicle and road characteristics) . It shows a trip projection with the battery percentage at every point along the way. It shows the actual battery percentage in real-time on the same chart as you drive.

In tabular form it indicates how much energy was consumed by the various services such as propulsion, climate control. auxiliaries etc with a comparison to the estimation.

It does this just by entering a destination into the navigation system.

If charging will be required it finds charging stations and recommends the charging time.

kw

Reply to
ke...

On Thursday, 27 April 2023 at 08:15:43 UTC-7, Don Y wrote: ...

She could have done it in less than 2 days.

kw

Reply to
ke...

It does? Where does it show this info? I've never seen that. It has an "Energy" display, where it shows projected charge levels over the course of the trip, along with the actual battery charge level. But, I've never seen anything about where the energy is going.

Yes, it does that, for sure. That's the primary function of the energy accounting software, to project the need and locations for charging. It is a bit stupid about "what-if" analysis. That's why I will use ABRP when planning a trip where I need to optimize my time. It is still true that while there are adequate chargers along the vast majority of routes, there are some that don't have a plethora of choices. No point in having 300 miles of range if the next chargers are 150 miles or 300 miles away. No one with a brain will take the chance of making it to the 300 mile charger. This is actually the greatest impact on the useful range of the car, and it is seldom mentioned. People love to talk much more about the cold, or the heat, or the many other factors that impact the battery by 10% or 20%. I've been on routes where the choices are 120 miles, or 240 miles and I'm just not willing to chance the 240 mile charger.

Meanwhile, I talked to a guy who commuted some considerable distance to and from work. While his car was still new, he would have a projection of arriving home with 1% on the battery, and be happy with not stopping to charge!

Reply to
Ricky

Not when they don't sell gasoline anymore. I never realized you were like this, can't see the forest for the trees.

Reply to
Ricky

That will be the day, fat chance. EVers will need gasoline for emergency. Perhaps we can buy gasoline from McDonald.

By the way, celebrating the pathetic charging network, approaching one year of the rest stop shutdown between Tulare and Delano, I am making a 20 miles detour through Porterville to get some electricity.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Emergency? What good is gasoline for an EV? Oh, you still want to be your own utility and make electricity. Ok, they will run a refinery and pipeline, just for you.

The problem is as the market diminishes, the economy of scale goes away. Gasoline will still be sold, but not from gas stations as fuel for vehicles. When the demand is down to 1% of what it is today, gasoline with be sold in 1 gallon cans at the hardware store like paint thinner. Or maybe not. There really are not many uses for gasoline. It is a rather impure product, if you aren't burning it. Even in lanterns, they used "white" gas, which was a more refined product, to prevent spoiling of the wick.

When there is no longer a sustained market for a product, it goes away. You will need to use diesel for your generator, and that will be harder to come by as well.

I realize that anyone who buys a golf cart and tries to use it for long trips, is not going to understand much of what I explain, but that doesn't change the facts of ever decreasing demand for gasoline, and the evaporation of the support network for gas powered vehicles. By 2040, it will become prohibitively expensive and inconvenient to try to use any gasoline powered vehicles, including BEVs that are charged from personal generators.

I'm surprised that we aren't starting to see an impact on gas prices by now. I think BEV ownership is around 5% in the US. The distance driven dropped around 10% during the recession in 2008 and gas prices dropped hugely. Give it another couple of years and BEV ownership will reach 10%, which will make an impact on the price of gas. But by the time BEVs are 50% of the cars on the roads, parts of the distribution network will shut down and prices will start to go up again. I expect by 2040, gas will be working up to $10 a gallon. By 2045, there won't be gas stations anymore. People just can't grasp the idea. It's like saying TVs will go away, because we've always known them. But gas cars are dinosaurs, and the asteroid has hit. It will only take a bit of time for them to become extinct.

Reply to
Ricky

That information would also be useful for gasoline cars. My country is hilly, I would like to know the height profile of the proposed paths.

That reminds me, that the TomTom never tells me to take a tunnel or high pass. Says keep left or right instead ("take the tunnel" would be way more useful). It has no information of the height I am at.

There is a parking lot near me, where it proposes a path right through the wall of the basement, because it thinks I am at ground level.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

I keep seeing articles discussing the material needed to make the batteries for EVs. China comes up repeatedly as the source. The U.S. is going to let its potential long term enemy control transportation? A superpower like the U.S. should be energy independent. This looks like a long term surrender.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Emergency for portable generators and batteries. I have removable modules, sometimes more batteries, and sometimes more generators. I want smaller and lighter generators, perhaps in segments of 100V DC.

I see McDonald selling cups of gasoline more than hardware stores. I don't see hardware stores in remote travel stops.

Diesel and/or ethanol would be fine. I can build generators that run on ethanol.

We might be dead by 2040; so, work out a solution now.

I see BEV peaking at 20% to 30%. ICE will never disappear. I am a realist, you are an idealist.

Reply to
Ed Lee

CalTran pre-released Vapor Chargers too early, give or take a few years. People reported that the chargers are accessable (ignoring the barriers) but not enabled. They might be upgrading the power lines. CalTran gave us this fast charging short cut 2 year ago, then they took it back 1 year ago. Now i have to wait at a slow charger 20 miles east to rant about it.

Reply to
Ed Lee

On Thursday, 27 April 2023 at 23:58:22 UTC-7, Ricky wrote: ...

Maybe it is not available on the Model S/X yet. It has been on the Model3/Y for 6 months or so.

kw

Reply to
ke...

You like to think that you are a realist, but you don't think well enough to make the cut.

We can't afford to have lot of people burning gasoline in cars, so EV's are going to end up with at least 99% of the market. but it is going to take a while to get there.

Norway has already got to 23.1% electric vehicles on its roads.

About 75% of the car now being sold there are electric, so that number is going to keep on going up.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

It is, by design.

Not in my life time. We all want BEV to be higher, but the fact is in fact a matter of fact.

#1 is 23%, #2 is 10% #3 is 6%, the rest are less than 5%. I should say 20% to 30% top for the USA.

I drive a Leaf golf cart. Rick drives a Tesla computer. What do you drive?

Reply to
Ed Lee

that is because they have and had extreme incentives to drive electric making it stupid to do anything else, no tax or vat on car, half price on ferries and toll roads, free parking, use of bus lanes all paid for by the state selling of oil and gas

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Or going an intricate path in an unfamiliar city to find a "turn left" (we drive on the right, remember ;-)) that is explicitly prohibited or just impossible in the traffic.

I hate when it takes me on a "TomTom detour" that saves half a minute on the map, just to find that I have to cross or join a very busy street, which takes a minute or two to manage.

Heh.

And? How could it be both?

Yeah.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

OTPH, i arrived in a school parking lot with 5 ICE cars on 6 chargers, only one available with handicap space. Yesterday, in another school, a teacher-type asked if i am in her school district. I said "yes", i am visiting in your district. Any more question and I would have to educate her that the solar panels and chargers were financed by state money and I am a state tax payer.

Such pathetic charging options. It's not for everyone.

Reply to
Ed Lee

They control everything else! What about needing tungsten from Russia, etc., etc.?

We are energy independent. What materials do you think we depend on getting from China for BEV batteries? What are you reading???

Reply to
Ricky