Stalled EV

No, McDonalds is never going to sell gasoline, LOL! Why would they sell gasoline just for YOU? How many people do you think need the sort of stuff you do? Maybe 1 in 10,000, or more likely 1 in 100,000. Not enough market. You never seen to understand this, only seeing the world through your eyes.

There you go! You can use ethanol to run your car! Oh, it's electric. At least ethanol has potential for being carbon neutral. You electric nonsense probably ends up creating more carbon than driving an ICE.

We have a solution for now, ICE cars.

No, I see the advantages of electric. Who wants to give up a $1,000 a year savings in fuel costs not to mention the savings in maintenance as well as never having to drive somewhere to get gasoline?

You are nowhere near a realist, or you wouldn't be sleeping in your car while waiting for a tow to the slow chargers. You... are boarder line insane.

Reply to
Ricky

Why can you not understand that hybrids are the "transitional" technology and battery electric vehicles are the final solution???

Hybrids use gasoline. They can never be carbon neutral! NEVER!!!

There's nothing impractical about hybrids today. They simply don't solve any problems we have.

LOL Urban designers have been designing alternative communities as long as communities have existed. Yet, we mostly use the same concepts, cities, suburbs and rural. It ain't changing much in the next 15 years as BEVs become the dominant form of personal transportation.

Why would you think they need to be told anything. They are perfectly capable of dominating the world automotive market. It will be them telling us what we can drive, perhaps?

You mean the cost of replacing an ICE engine? The battery will last as long, so what are you babbling about?

You mean the way we compensate buggy whip makers? Please stop being absurd.

Diesel prominence??? That never happened. It did get popular enough in personal cars and pickups, that most gas stations have a diesel pump, but nothing like "prominence". Other than the Volkswagen (dieselgate), I can't name one diesel passenger car.

Electric cars are not eggs in a basket. They are made in the US. What are you talking about???

What does that have to do with BEVs?

You really can get out there.

Reply to
Ricky

I haven't updated in a while. At the moment my 12V battery is being shunned by the car, so it won't update. It offers, but it also warns me elsewhere that I can't update until I replace the battery. Gotta do it sooner, rather than later. In this mode, the car loses 6% a day when not plugged in.

Reply to
Ricky

Things like this:

Maybe one author is just copying another's research, more or less.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

That can be arraigned.

Yes, the fact is, it's very clear that BEVs are going to become the defacto car on the road. Bill says 99%, but that ignores what a PITA it will become to get gas for your tank at that point.

Don't know what you mean "top". US has about 5% BEVs on the road. It's really hard to find this data, but once in a while you can find the data.

He drives a sausage burner.

Reply to
Ricky

Strange. The navigators I use are measuring traffic times, so they take you on paths that don't have significant delays like this. When going to my hometown, I prefer to take a more back route. The navigator just looks at the trip times and usually wants me to go the main highway. But when the traffic is bad, it agrees with me and recommends the back route. I guess TomTom doesn't actually have real time data to work with. Try Google maps on your phone, or Waze.

Reply to
Ricky

Yeah, that's why Tesla has their own charging network. They knew up front that they could not depend on the free market to keep up with their ambitious goals. But that's improving, even if slowly.

I remember people bragging that EA had more charging locations in the US than Tesla did. Unfortunately, they didn't consider the high failure rate of non-Tesla chargers. I don't actually understand this myself. What is there to break? Electronics is typically very reliable. I guess it's more a matter of there not being money to repair them when they do break.

Reply to
Ricky

Google measures the time of other cars on the roads. They get real time data from every Google maps user and possibly the Tesla users as well, since that's who provides maps to Tesla, I'm told.

I do know that Tesla will change the route when traffic problems occur ahead.

What a great car! One with an active imagination! You gotta love that!

Reply to
Ricky

Sorry, which materials? I kinda got lost in all the glitz.

This concept ignores the fact that much of this is history and can change as the demand grows. The US is capable of supplying lots of these materials, if they decide it is important.

This is pretty much a Henny Penny argument. "The sky is falling!"

Reply to
Ricky

This particular case is not about charger breaking. They are working but completely ICE'ed. Obviously, the school is not enforcing EV only spaces. The second case is a teacher trying to intimated EV drivers using their equipments funded by the state. Their priorities are certainly not for EV. Unless public perceptions changed, many people are not going EV.

Many government entities simply forget and ignore maintenance after initial construction (and funding). So, we are not really ready for 100% EV yet.

Reply to
Ed Lee

You mean we are not ready for 100% Leaf yet. I don't think we'll ever be ready for everyone driving what you drive. I suppose they could put chargers at every mile post. That might make your car practical, for very limited definitions of "practical".

I don't have these problems in my Tesla. I used to think other brands were ok. But I've been educated by others about the poor charging if you aren't driving a Tesla. I guess that's why there's so much pressure to support other brands at Tesla chargers. That has potential for disaster. Other brands can't line up their charging port to the Tesla charger, without blocking access to another charger! I'm sure they will work it out. Likely they will only support other cars with chargers having two cables. One for lefties, and one for righties.

Reply to
Ricky

We are talking about EVs using public chargers, Tesla or not. I see plenty of Tesla's in public chargers and plenty of complaints about chargers not working from Tesla drivers in plugshare. You keep changing the subject, just to advertise Tesla. I am not interested in buying a Tesla and not to associate with Tesla investors.

Reply to
Ed Lee

A country like China a can sell minerals cheaply enough to bankrupt all the mines outside China. then exploit their monopoly to get exorbitant prices.

The US has anti-trust legislation to stop US companies pulling that trick within the country.

If you define "design" in the same way that John Larkin does.

What actually happened was the Republicans weren't prepared to spend on on subsidising US mines to keep them running as a strategic back-up.

If they had, the Chinese wouldn't have persisted in running their own mines at a loss.

It was simple stupidity.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

We, R and/or D, are not prepared to subsidise on any mines at all. The solution is anti-dumping tariff. In case of China, all products should be subject to 50% tariffs. They will then have less money to help/aid Russia indirectly.

Reply to
Ed Lee

You life time is likely to be short. Not being all that clever puts you at risk, so you may be right.

Of course you would - you just did in a previous post - but you aren't a reliable prophet.

A Mercedes B180. My wife bought it ten years ago when we moved back to Australia because it had fully adjustable front passenger seat, and it is still running fine (though it doesn't get a lot of use) and there's no need to replace it. I'd probably replace it with an electric vehicle if it became necessary to replace it.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

So, you are driving ICE to the ground while telling everybody to drive EV to save your environment. Isn't it hypocritical?

Reply to
Ed Lee

Tom Tom does have real time data to work with. I think they get it by monitoring anonymised mobile phone locations as supplied by mobile phone networks. The last time I read the bumf, they talked about averaging one hour chunks over the busy parts of the day.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Then you are stupid, but we knew that anyway.

It's a solution, but doesn't necessarily keep your mines working. The fact that Trump liked it should give you pause.

Except that it is your industries that pay the tariff, not the Chinese. China does have other markets, and they aren't spending a lot of money on helping the Russians make destructive fools of themselves in the Ukraine.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

It would be if that's what I was doing. What I actually say is that we need to move to electric vehicles as fast as is practical. I last refilled my gasoline tank in October, so the car isn't actually burning a lot of fossil carbon. My electricity consumption - about 50% of Australia's electricity still comes from burning fossil carbon, and much of it coal, is a whole lot more embarrassing, but I can't do anything about that.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

China is sucking up Russian energies to make cheap products for the world. We would rather use less products and less global shipping to deny Russia's war machine.

Reply to
Ed Lee