pspice orcad 9.1

how do i get a circuit into the 'simulation hierarchy'...if it isn't.

many thx

Danny

Reply to
Danny

What I had was every schematic page had its own SCHEMATIC subdirectory. Only 1 of which can be a ROOT subdirectory. What I've done now is put all my schematics in the 1 root subdirectory and everything simulates OK. the only downside is that i can only have 1 R1, L1 etc etc and the next schematic in the same root must start with a R2 or an Rn where n is 1 greater than the previous schematic page. is there any way of organising my schematic pages to get around this. i.e my project is a new test truck HV2 (high voltage 2) which i've named the .opj file hv2.opj, ditto the hv2.dsn file. then I want an number of different rectifier circuits that I'm experimenting with......that's what I want to do.

many thx in advance

Danny

Reply to
Danny

Which tool are you using for schematic entry, PSpice Schematics or OrCAD Capture?

If you are doing the _hierarchy_ correctly you shouldn't have any component designator issues.

However "page-to-page" of a _single_ schematic requires consistent designators.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Thx, Jim. I'm using OrCAD Capture

What I've now done is put all my schematic pages into 1 root (/) subdirectory. Then for the 1st schematic page I've called every component X11, X12, X13 etc etc.....then the next schematic page I've called the components X21, X22, X23 etc. The only downside now is that when I save a schematic page it asks me if i want to save ALL the schematic pages, to which I have no choice but to click yes OR cancel...so I click 'yes' and it saves the lot.....again! there must be a better way that I'm missing....

'doing_the _hierarchy_correctly'.......now I think that's where I'm messing up. I'd really appreciate a few pointers on this.

Thx again,

Danny

Reply to
Danny

I don't use Capture... I find it astronomically klutzy.

However, play around with Place, Hierarchical Block for making hierarchical schematics.

There is in the "View" menu a next page/previous page command, so there must be some way to add a page to make multi-page drawings that act as one schematic.

However I can't find it ;-)

Charlie ????

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hi Jim, I am not sure WHAT he is doing. One thing he needs to do is get all his refdes's straight. He needs to package the design (a step Schematics did automagically) and that will make all his refdes unique. If he wants heirarchy, then he creates heirarchical blocks and does that. If he has a flat design, then, he has off-page connectors to go to the other pages, and packages to get all the different refdes's updated.

It is always fun when you have someone who obvious felt that the manuals and tutorials were just a waste of time... 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

PSpice Schematics is INTUITIVE ;-)

So how do you add a (non-hierarchical) page in Capture?

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

You need to go to the Project Manager view (file heirarchy looking one...) and right click on your .DSN and do an Add Page. Fine for doing PCBs and drawing a Schematic for documentation, but a bad idea if you are doing simulation...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

What a crock! Part of the reason I told EMA-EDA, this very day, I'm only renewing PSpice... take Capture and SHOVE it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

That's exactly correct...and that's what I did (new design - and add page business)....as you say "Fine for

so what i've done now is have a new project for every circuit that i want to simulate....In truth of fact none of the tutes seemed to run with the freeby version (which is all i've got) and the manual...well I reckon it MUST make sense to the people who wrote it. Anyway I've achieved what i need now...thx for your time, guys.

Danny

Reply to
Danny