Solar charge controllers specifications

Please explain 'Muntzed'. I've just recently joined this group, so I'm not very well versed in it's colloquials.

joe

Reply to
joe hey

Google Muntz TV

Tom Miller

Kickstarter idea: EMP roof coil--harnesses EMP, charges batteries. Free energy from EMP. ;-)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Ok, I got your point :)

_And_ have to admit you're right. If for instance you would apply a down-chopper to supply the solar panel's power to the battery, and 1 or 2 cells have failed, the MPP power would result in an increased current, higher than the panel's short circuit current, to the battery, probably frying the 'muntzed' device in the process.

Well done. joe

Reply to
joe hey

Let me get back to that, now that I know what 'Muntzed' is:

An 'overly Muntzed' solar charge controller is no charge controller at all. It would just be a solar panel with an _average_ MPP voltage of more or less 13 Volt with a (high power) zener diode over the panel's terminals and a diode in series -- to prevent the battery emptying itself over the anti-parallel diodes (if not 'Muntzed' away). The lost power production of more or less 10% of the MPP power production, would be of no concern since the device would still be working. Hence, the 'charge controller' can not fry out because it simply isn't there. It is replaced by an 'overcharge controller': the power zener.

joe

Reply to
joe hey