USB Controllers

Can some one give me a little info about usb controllers I have being looking on the net and Im not sure what I should be looking for I want to control about 8 relays through my USB port and would also need some kind of software program that comes with it. Has anyone purchase anything like that lately Thanks Rick

Reply to
trickyrick

Just google for a bazillion hits.

John

Are you talking about having a stand-alone controller that communicates to the PC via USB (i.e., your actual control software is on the end of the USB line), or just an I/O device that communicates over USB, (i.e., your control software resides on the PC)?

If the latter, such as National Instruments USB6501, then look at page 6-12 of the follow PDF for the type of information you should be looking for:

-> over voltage protection

-> Max current/power

-> pull-up resistor availability

-> signal level (TTL?)

-> thru-put (how fast can you switch the attached relays

-> isolation (depending upon what load your relays are attached to, it's likily that you'll need an external power supply and thus will want some isolation from the PC.

I've used NI's USB6501 to switch transitors connected to two lamps that pulled

110mA each. I was using the USB to power the lamps and couldn't do much more with the 0.5amp USB current limit. (LEDs were not bright enough).
Reply to
Freelance Embedded Systems Eng

May be something you like at:

has a module that hooks up to an 8 relay module for a ready built solution.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Affiliate Program:   http://www.dontronics.com/affiliate
Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

Serial OLED uses standard micro-SD memory cards.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16659
Reply to
Don McKenzie

at:

cards.http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16659

Thanks Guys for the input I like the Elexol EtherIO24 Module and the Elexol I/O24 Accessories Relay Output Board and there are other's but my problem would be operation these. There are sites that talk about visual baisc and other programs. I was looking for a complete package with software. Rick

Reply to
trickyrick