LiIon solar charge controller with load output regulation?

Folks,

Is there a solar charge controller that provides a hard and (somewhat) regulated 12V-14V output and uses a LiIon battery? The standard ones are like this and then the battery voltage fluctuates with the LiIon pack:

Most are for 3-cell and then the low cut-off is around 8V. Way too low, a lot of 12V gear conks out below 10V or so. If one would use a 4-cell battery the problem is going to be the upper end, almost 17V ... phssss ... *POP*

We'd need 12V/20A out, driving motors. Ripple can he quite horrid. Our current charge control costs around $25 but I realize that's not quite possible with regulated output. But has to be

Reply to
Joerg

pack

Reply to
Tim Wescott

That's what we have right now.

Those usually are not able to follow the precise charge regimen for LiIon batteries. The end-of-charge voltage for LiIon must be accurately regulated. It's only a small band between not reaching capacity and

*KABLAM* :-)

Also, LiIon has a much wider voltage range over the useful discharge range. 3-cell is too low in voltage at end-of-capacity, 4-cell is way too high when full.

6-cell lead acid is what we have right now but the gripe is that it makes the whole unit too heavy to carry.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It's not all that difficult, today.

That's why they make buck/boost regulators. ;-)

SLACs are nice but have a fairly low power density.

Reply to
krw

I figured you were going to bring weight into the discussion.

Yes, if you want to use LiIon cells then your life gets more difficult.

Somewhere out there on the web is someone selling a LiIon battery that's supposed to be a form-fit-function replacement for a 12V car battery. I'm not sure how they're doing it (I suspect on-board electronics), but if you're lugging more than one car battery now, and you can get the capacity you need from one of these gizmos, then it may be your meal ticket.

Particularly if they have a motorcycle version...

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Where, where? :-)

We'd need something between 25Ah and 30Ah, 12V. Unfortunately the power hardware is picky regarding those 12V. Especially some of the motors really lose steam when that drops to less than 11V. And a 3-cell LiIon will, big time.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I know, but we are looking for a fairly cheap off-the-shelf solution. Figuring that we can't be the only one with such a wish. Although the

20A peak power requirement is unusual, outside the normal camping utensil range.

Sure, I could roll my own but the client would rather not want to do that. Then you have to go through engineering phase, all new EMC, and all that.

Wot's a SLAC? I guess you don't mean the National Accelerator Lab :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

SLAC == Sealed Lead-Acid Cell

Reply to
krw

Ah, thanks. But that's what we'd like to get rid of, on account of its weight.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Maybe you'll have to go with 4-cell and drop some volts on the load side. Inefficient, sure, but it'll get around the voltage "mismatch".

Reply to
who where

That would be my choice, use a sync buck on the load side. But that part of the product is done and they don't want to change it.

Also, all the controllers I found so far only supported 3-cell LiIon :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Hi,

I found these ones, look pretty cool:

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Thanks, Jamie! Those look promising, will inquire whetehr they are reasonable in cost and can work with a solar panel.