Solar charge controllers specifications

Yep, my mind wasn't where it should have been, sorry...

Joe

Reply to
joe hey

The controller only needs to be as strong as the panels.

Joe

Reply to
joe hey

is

not

it

If it is not capable of dealing with the batteries it will eventually fry.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

why, the batteries aren't going to over-current it., and the solar cells are too weak.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

While in a high altitude blast, the EMP is a real issue, but for ground blasts, much of the EMP is canceled.

Protecting solar panel array against EMP (NEMP/LEMP) and also possibly against strong geomagnetic storms can be hard, if the panels are daisy chained across the roof or other large area, since the cabling would form a large area loop, through which the magnetic field will go, causing large interference currents.

Reply to
upsidedown

The OP might start by reading

upsidedown

On a sunny day (Fri, 30 May 2014 10:52:04 +0300) it happened snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote in :

The whole story assumes nuc[u]lear bombs. In present times power plants have been bombed by conventional means, or taken over by enemy forces, or simply their operators killed or to scared to go to work, or their fuel supply interrupted. or no money for fuel. System disruptions. Hackers, I forgot hackers. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

This is true both for a big battery or a smallish battery with some on-line loads consuming the rest of the available power.

The V/I curve drops _very_ rapidly, if loaded above the maximum power point, so the controller is quite well protected against too much current.

The other question is how the panel likes to be overloaded with a more or less short circuit.

Reply to
upsidedown

it is

not

current

if it

fry.

If the battery is large and a cell or two shorts it might very well kill the charge controller.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

how's that going to hurt the controller?

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

A 100 W panel (8 A @ 12 V) will be able to deliver 9 or 10 A at short circuit, thus any decent controller should be able to handle that.

With a 12 V panel directly connected (no controller) to a 12 V battery with two shorted cells (8 V), the panel will deliver about 8.5-9A at 8 V. So even if you put a simple controller in between, this is what you get.

With a real MPPT, the panel would deliver 8 A @ 12 V (100 W) and the battery would get 12 A @ 8 V.

Reply to
upsidedown

it is

Normally

are not

current

more

two.

if it

eventually fry.

kill

That depends on the quality of the controller. If it has been heavily muntzed the output would be 8.8 V @ 7.5 A and the controller subsequently fries.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

If one really is concerned with this, just make sure that one of the cables from the solar panel is lead on the back of the panels, following the exact path as the internal bus bar wires. It costs a lot more cable, but minimises the loop area. Question is: will it become sufficiently small?

joe

Reply to
joe hey

That short circuit will just carry the photo-current, and the panels will be fine with that. It's not an 'overload'.

joe

Reply to
joe hey

Yes, that is: the voltage of the batteries. The solar panel can only supply as much current as it is rated to, so a charge controller, well dimensioned to the size of the solar panel, will not 'fry', as the current will never exceed the maximum solar panel's value.

joe

Reply to
joe hey

Please explain _how_ exactly it will fry? Because I don't see how it would.

joe

Reply to
joe hey

You are correct. I have here a 40W panel with the following rating plate:

Peak Power: 40W Max Power Voltage: 17.8 Max Power Current: 2.3 Open Circuit Voltage: 21.6 Short Circuit Current: 2.5

Reply to
John S

literature

and

current"!

charging

that

Overdissipating the pass transistors.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

With what size of current, 10% more than the maximum-power current of the panel? I still don't see that happening in a well designed device.

joe

Reply to
joe hey

the

But i am including overly Muntzed devices explicitly.

Reply to
josephkk