So...uh...Huh?! (this transistor is?)

Someone look at the datasheet for 2SC2878...

So....uhm....uh...how exactly did they get a...IT CAN'T BE NPN!

Tim

Tim Williams

Not really, although it is nice at signal current levels (

Reply to
Tim Williams

Similar typical at the rated 30mA to a 2N4401 (about 50mV).

The high reverse beta and high emitter-base breakdown voltages are interesting-- they all imply a fairly symmetrical transistor structure, I think.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Me too. I used 2n3905's and 3906's once to make a rack full of 16-bit DACs for a biggish military display system, one of those Strangelove situation-room things. 10K-20K R-2R ladder with hand-selected 0.01% wirewound resistors, and we tweaked the base currents in the first few stages. Inverted mode, Vsat can be positive, negative, or zero as close as you care to trim it.

John

The reverse beta is also huge--almost like the forward beta. It looks as though the collector doping is comparable to the emitter doping, which would make the Vce(sat) easier to understand too.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's an impressive Vce ( sat )

I think such things are simply rare.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

"Pooh Bear" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com...

Have a look at Zetex and you'll be more impressed :-) Don't know how well they work reversed.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Look up the 2N2432. I used this in a PWM analogue computing system in the

60's. Inverted to get less than a mV drop.

Graham H

Reply to
Graham Holloway

I've tinkered with using bipolars as switches. As long as the reverse signal voltage is < 0.7 V it's fine. No good for me typically though so it's fets instead.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear