small board mount and crimpable counnectors for programming

Hi there - does anybody know of a very small connector available in a

6 pin configuration? I'm looking for a very small vertical surface mount connector as well as a mating wire mount connector that is hand crimpable (or has solderable solder cup contacts). We won't need alot of the mating connectors as they will just be for programming, hence the need for hand crimpability. I'd like to have it be 2mm pitch or smaller, one or two rows. Any ideas? I can't seem to think of anything... Right now the best idea I have is a Harwin Datamate L-Tek but that is still fairly large. Through hole might be OK as well, but smt definitely would be better.

I was also thinking of some sort of pogo pin arrangement - but it looks like you just buy pogo pins individually. How would you get them to be arranged in a line or grid? Also, how would you get them alligned to the programming pads on the PCB?

Lastly I was thinking it might make sense to have some sort of card edge connector, probably dual sided. Any suggestions along those lines?

Thanks!

-Michael

Reply to
Michael

how about using 8 pin DIP sockets on the board and IDC ribbon cable mating connectors for the programmer ? You were asking for low profile right ?

Jure Z.

Reply to
Jure Newsgroups

A DIP socket would be almost as big as the PCB itself! The PCB is a

13mm diameter circle, with SMT parts on both sides.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael

Well, you didn't define "small"

You could do pogos. Get a piece of delrin or corian or something like that and machine snug holes for the pogos, and make your own fixture. The nice thing about pogos is that the "connector" on the board is just pads, located wherever they are handy.

John

What about just using PCB pads only (landings), and then make a jig with needle-connectors to hit the pads? Other than the cost of the jig (springs, clamps, etc..) there would be no additional parts costs on the individual boards.

Just curious: Are you using one of those Phillips /NXP processsors with the weird way to program......???

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

I assume that is what "pogo pins" are :)

I have thought about this for my (our) boards. Prototypes are so cheap now that each time I get a board done, I could have another made as just a carrier for the test pins. Perhaps with a convenient ribbon cable connector too.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I use a 2mm header for programming. 2mm IDC ribbon cable connectors are a commodity item.

Martin Riddle

Are these small enough

Downside is they don't offer the crimps, only wires ready crimped.

Reply to
Paul Burke

That is what I meant when I said "pogo pins". I'm not sure if that is the official term for them, but it's the only term I've consistently heard used to describe spring loaded pins like those.

Not a Philips/NXP part. It's actually for a magnetic angle sensor from Austria Micro Systems.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael