SMAJs are not equal

Hi

Currently working on a PT1000 interface with a tranzorb SMAJ5.0 (5V), but they are certainly not equal from different manufactors

Main parameter for the application is leakage current at 5V applied voltage:

800uA

800uA

20uA

800uA

Luckily we are using the ST part, and it measures well. In the lab, at around 3nA at 25 degrees, with very limited additional current at 85 degrees

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

Low voltage zeners are very soft.

Do you have 5 volts across the RTD?

Reply to
jlarkin

søndag den 12. september 2021 kl. 04.25.00 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com:

0.5V-1V sounds much more reasonable for a PT1000
Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Self-heating should always be thought about for temperature sensors. 5V would give you 25mW. 0.5-1V is 0.25 to 1 mW, which would be a bit high for an NTC thermistor - 1mW produced 0.2K of self-heating in a situation that I commented on in Rev.Sci.Instrum.

Sloman A. W. “Comment on ‘A versatile thermoelectric temperature controller with 10 mK reproducibility and 100 mK absolute accuracy’ [Rev. Sci. Instrum. 80, 126107 (2009)] “, Review of Scientific Instruments 82, 27101 - 027101-2 (2011).

Platinum resistance sensors have a positive temperature coefficient, so you aren't going to make them unstable by dissipating too much heat in the sensor, and their thermal resistance to ambient can be lower than you can get with a thermistor.

Sloman, A.W. "On microdegree thermostats", Journal of Physics E: Scientific Instruments, 11, 967-968 (1978).

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

On a sunny day (Sun, 12 Sep 2021 02:46:10 +0200) it happened Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in <shjikj$hdo$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>:

Nice varicap...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Only 1V, so the we are way down on the curve

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

Yes, looks like somebody just drew a line on a graph ;-)

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

When I need low leakage, one trick is to bias the transzorb at a higher voltage than the input and connect them with a low leakage diode

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

It is not the valtage that is changed, it is the part with its breakdown voltage...

Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

On a sunny day (12 Sep 2021 10:10:25 GMT) it happened Uwe Bonnes snipped-for-privacy@hertz.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote in snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>:

OK, I see, was already thinking about possible applicaions.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Too good to be true...

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

Or just clamp transients to +2 and -0.6 volts or something with plain diodes.

Or for ESD, just put a cap across the input. Temperatures don't change fast.

Reply to
jlarkin

Power diodes can be huge-c varicaps, but the tempcos are horrible.

Ditto but worse for high-K ceramic caps.

Reply to
jlarkin

This should be no surprise.

These parts are not originally designed for low leakage or signal line applications.

RL

Reply to
legg

It works with ESD, but very difficult to find a 50A surge rated capacitor

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

I was surprised that for same part number the leakage is a factor 40 between different suppliers

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

SMA is a colloquial mechanical standard, loosely compliant with DO214Ax (but don't count on it). 'J' indicates leads formed under the body, rather than outwards (gull wing)

Adoption into part naming is a sales attempt at grouping generic parts with similar mechanical shape.

RL

Reply to
legg

Quite often the leakage they claim is the leakage they are willing to test for.

It takes quite a while for the stray capacitance to charge up far enough that the "leakage current" gets down to 3nA.

Somebody with a faster production line might settle for a higher leakage specification that they could test to faster.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman