Printer with Step-up transformer not working

I have an HP 2100tn printer that works on 220V and I use a 500W step up & down transformer between it and my outlet.

The other day when I turned the transformer on the printer light came on, but then went out.

Now the transformer vibrates slight as if there is a fan on inside, but I never noticed this when everything was working.

I'm thinking that power is not getting to my printer and I wanted to get advice on how to narrow the problem down.

If anyone is familiar with it, I have a Fluke 8060A digital multimeter and would appreciate ideas on what and how to check first.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

"Searcher7"

** Errr - the fuses ?

Unplug the printer and check the AC voltage on the output of the transformer first.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

er

That's what I was thinking, but up until now I've only checked output voltages from computer and arcade game power supplies with this Multimeter, and I wanted to be sure I was doing this correctly.

I assume that I set the multimeter on 750 AC(which is one step above it's 200 AC setting), and with the step-up transformer I am to place one test lead into the output's ground, and one lead into one of the other two positions, correct?

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

rmer

Find somebody who knows what they're doing to help you out before we read your obituary.

GG

Reply to
stratus46

rmer

If anyone knows of a site detailing how these are wired I'd appreciate it.

I actually have two different step-up transformers. The rocker switch broke on one, and when I took it apart I wasn't sure how it went back together, so it's been gathering dust ever since.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

er

I wouldn't know how to begin to openup the Printer, but the fuse for the transformer was the first think I checked. I can feel the vibration and the rocker switch lights up when it is "on".

But does that mean it is definitely putting out 220 volts?

I have a Fluke 6080A multimeter, but can't find the manual.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

"Searcher7". "Phil Allison"

I wouldn't know how to begin to openup the Printer, but the fuse for the transformer was the first think I checked. I can feel the vibration and the rocker switch lights up when it is "on".

But does that mean it is definitely putting out 220 volts?

I have a Fluke 6080A multimeter, but can't find the manual.

** Can you plug a lamp with a say 40 watt bulb into the transformer?

It should briefly light up and blow immediately.

If it don't - there is no power coming out.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Ok, I tried measuring the 110V output of the step up/down transformer, and it seemed to screw up my multimeter briefly, so I'm hesitant about trying to test the 200V output.(And yes I followed the manual and selected the AC function and the 200V range).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

"Searcher7 PITA "

** Can you plug a lamp with a say 40 watt bulb into the transformer?

It should briefly light up and blow immediately.

If it don't - there is no power coming out.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yes, the light bulb lit up.

But I'd still like to be able to test to see how much the output really is.

Nevertheless, it seems as though the problem is the printer itself.

The manual doesn't show much, so I'd have to figure out how to open it up and search for any kind of fuse.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

"Searcher7 PITA "

Yes, the light bulb lit up.

** This is like pulling teeth out of a dead elephant !!!

Question :

DID IT THEN BLOW ??

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

That seems like a contradiction????? How come it is "The 110 volt output of a 'step up' transformer." The OP said that the printer works on 220 volts! Also that 'step up transformer may not be straightforward 'transformer' and might be modifying the waveform? In which case the Fluke might not know what it is measuring???? Think the OP should get some basic help trouble shooting before something gets damaged or burns up! Also no you don't measure voltage beteen live and 'ground'. Lastly making an assumption, although not spelled out, that the OP is operating in the Americas where normal wall outlet voltage is a nominal 115 volts and 60 hertz.

Reply to
terryS