skin deep?

I have had a stent in my aorta since 2007. I suppose it is worth 4 digits to make sure it hasn't moved, it cost enough to put it there.

Androcles

Very interesting, but Delaney's original question regarded x-rays on subcutaneous tissue, not optical light on a slide. This suggests ... well, you work it out; it may be worth a patent, although dental x-rays seem to be adequate if the film is close to the tooth.

Reply to
Androcles

Oh yeah, got to be careful. Glad that they caught yours in time since aortic aneurysms are generally symptom-less. With a friend of ours it happened on a golf course, too late :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

If sudden intense back pain while sitting relaxed at the computer is symptom-less then I would hate to find out what a symptom is. :-) I went to lay on the bed but it wasn't easing after 30 minutes so I called an ambulance. At least I finished the post I was writing.

Reply to
Androcles

Problem is, that many people (like myself) have those shooting back pains come up for the usual reasons. "Floppy disks", as some folks in the south would say ...

You were very lucky. Our friend was calmly standing there looking at a golf shot someone did. Then he just fell over, and that was it. Another friend had one in brain blood vessels but she survived. She said she felt absolutely nothing, just blacked out. Luckily they had a meeting and the guy next to her caught her head before it hit the table and another dialed 911 milliseconds later.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I was fully conscious, just in agony. Doc asked me if it was the worst pain I'd ever experienced.... I said no, I had a shattered ankle with bone protruding in 2002 and a nurse immobilised it, but it came a close second.

Reply to
Androcles

in

X-ray tomography (body-scan) does pick up soft-tissue absorbtion. A complete body-scan used to be 45 of the median lethal X-ray dose, but for an arm, leg or head you can get by with a substantially lower dose.

Magnetic resonance imaging is much less dangerous, but even more expensive.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I had a head MRI, noisy and boring. I think the official price was $6000, but I paid $20.

John

I had one at the VA hospital when I had 'Bell's Palsey in my right eye. I agree with you about the noise. I had a throbbing headache for several days. My copay was $0.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

I sat through almost three full hours of Oral Surgery without any painkiller, while in the US Army. The surgeon wanted to know how I kept from passing out.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Eventually the morphine put me to sleep, but I don't believe it does anything for real pain.

Reply to
Androcles

This was emergencty surgery at a small, out of the way army post with few tools and no supplies other than rubbing alcahol & q-tips.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Pipe wrenches can be useful for extractions if you have the right type

Androcles

45%? That sounds warm.

Which reminds me, I heard a guy accidentially walked through one of those massive cargo crate x-ray machines... he was just walking through the crate, then all of a sudden felt warm, realized what was happening, and got the f*ck out of there! I wonder how much of a lethal dose that was.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

te,

I happen to make x-ray optics AND my 17yr old daughter was diagnosed with melanoma in a mole (she is OK) so I looked into this a lot. So, I can focus x-rays fairly well as long as they are of energy below

25 KeV. Turns out, that for soft tissue imaging, the ideal energy for best contrast is about 17 KeV, excellent. This is also the optimal energy for mammography. What we need is an x-ray source that is subcutaneous, ie, below the mole. Above the mole you'd have an areal CCD detector. This would give you a pic of the mole with resolution comparable to the pixel size of the CCD. Other x-ray detection schemes can give better resolution. To make a subcutaneous x-ray source is difficult but is the subject of a patent we have filed. It would use a hypodermic needle-like x-ray mirror and a special x-ray source to make the intense highly collimated needle-like beam of x-rays. The needle would be pushed through the skin and used to make the image. Alternatively, one could use tritiated glucose injected into the lymph system near the mole so to feed the mole. A special imaging x-ray optic consisting of a collimator, diffractor and ccd detector would be placed on the mole and be used to image the tritiated areas that would mostly be tumerous.

Having my wife diagnosed with "Ductal Carcinoma In-Situ" recently (a precancer of the breast, she is also ok) got me looking into that too. Our source-optic combo would be ideal for breast imaging where it is a battle between minimal dose and maximum signal and contrast. Our source/optic is intended to maximize the 17-25 KeV x-rays while removing all the contrast reducing higher energies and low energies.

Unfortunatly, our company is very small and we can only do R&D on things that are funded. Neither of these are currently funded although we have applied for patents.

If anybody IS interested in such technology, they can contact me by googling "Parallax Research, Inc., X-ray Optics, Spectroscopy"

David OHara Parallax Research, Inc.

Reply to
Frogwatch

Where would you put the detector? The x-ray should pass throught the body anyway and they would be absorbed. You might use a CT scan, but resolution isn't enough to work at fractions of mm, as you'd require for a subcutaneous surgery.

All tissues absorbe x-ray. Bones absorbe the most.

Reply to
Javi

se

rate,

Confocal microscopy has the resolution and depth into tissue ability to identify carcinoma.

Helpful person

I've had a dentist ask if he could use a blasting cap, after fighting a tooth for over an hour and still not being able to get it out. :(

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

.

rds.

ut of

have

ocal

Dr. Hobbs;

Can you tell me if "phase-coded imaging" is the same as "single lens 3- D"? If so, then that is something which I came up with in the 60's, and patented in the 80's. Such an image may be phase-coded, time-coded, frequency-coded, or encoded in any way which will allow some differentiation at some sensor.

Reply to
wc

It depends on the pain source. Morphine works for some things; other kinds of drugs work for other kinds of pain. Talk with a hospice nurse if you're really curious.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv