Silly resistor values

And therein lies the problem. Some of them are also good men fallen on hard times. Victorian era classified as deserving poor vs undeserving poor.

A pretty astonishing example of an internationally famous astronomer who despite publishing what are still the standard reference works on amateur deep sky observing died in poverty and obscurity in San Diego. He worked for 22 years at Lowell Observatory before losing his home.

Short version on Wiki:

Gory details in the Phoenix Times.

A name collision meant that in the outside world everyone thought a different Robert Burnham who worked for Astronomy magazine had written his books. In any civilised society his previous empoyment record would have guaranteed him some minimal social security income and care.

He has an asteroid named after him but no-one cared for him on Earth.

That is how it works in the UK. Private insurance allows a bit more flexibility about scheduling operations and nicer rooms. The NHS incidentally ends up picking up the pieces if the private sector makes a mistake and the private hospitals often throw difficult cases with expensive complications over the wall.

One thing to remember here is that it is very difficult to negotiate price when you have a life threatening injury or acute appendicitis. Private medicine likes to keep it that way since they make more money. The same arguments and scare tactics against a public health service were used in the UK when the NHS was formed. You may find it interesting to look at that.

Only for a small fraction of the healthy and wealthy. It isn't clear what properties of standard of living you are referring to either. You may well have insanely oversized cars, TVs and be bristling with guns but is that necessarily better than life in Europe?

You also seem to have a rather poor average life expectancy and very high levels of obesity and type 2 diabetes.

The world economy was wrecked by a series of Enron style "creative accounting" stunts with CDOs that allowed banks to fake their profits so the masters of the universe could all claim their bonuses. The regulators were asleep on the job.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Poor guy; that's a really sad story.

I was thinking mainly in terms of property ownership, but I'd agree there's no real objective standard. (Even with something like real property, the U.S. is so large compared to the U.K. that land will, on average, be cheaper.)

Just wait until you have as many fast food restaurants as we do? :-)

Thanks for your input, Martin.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner
[snip]

Obesity AND diabetes are largely confined to people of Mexican or Aborigines (American Indian) descent... due to their inability to digest an American high fat, high sugar, high cow-milk diet.

...Jim Thompson

[...]

It hit me after hitting "send" :-)

I've never had it hick up on me, at least not much. This included some really fat module specs with nested TOC, almost like books.

Access is pretty cool, used it in companies, but too large for a small biz like mine. All my book-keeping is done with Works.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It *never* will be, unless it's rationed to the bone. Even the third that is nationalized can't pay its bills now.

Why don't we do that now?

But you want to jump in with both feet not knowing what's under the surface?

Nope. Illegal.

They have no choice. Ask the same people 50 years before, whether they'd rather pay the Medicare tax or not.

We're not talking about health care for the indigent, here. We're talking about *NATIONALIZING* the entire industry.

But that is *NOT* what we're talking about.

Mostly.

You really are clueless. That is *NOT* what is going on.

BTW, also note that illegals will be allowed free health care, too. That's certainly going to reduce costs.

Reply to
krw

Just managing simple bulleted lists is horrid. Paragraph style management is impossible. I used to be able to write documents in Frame and export them to Word. M$ broke that a long time ago. Word makes me want to scream.

I just found it on my computer at work so bought a book. I figured it would be useful for managing BOMs.

Reply to
krw

Hi Keith,

Good question. Clearly there are many powerful interests who aren't interested in seeing their margins shrink or their jobs removed; few people are willing to put the country's interests ahead of there own, unfortunately -- particularly when they know they're just one tiny drop in an ocean of bureaucracy and inefficiency. The infrastructure we have today is so entrenched that it will take massive policy changes to significantly change it.

As I say, the current system is massive -- overnight it's not going to crumble. Absolute worst case, Obama has 3-1/2 more years to do damage... and plenty of representatives and congressmen have far less than that. I'm willing to see what happens -- plus the absolute worst case is far worse than the "expected" case.

In some proposed legislation, apparently so -- and that's wrong. I can't imagine such provisions will pass, though, even with the current democratic majority. We don't live in a country radical enough that overnight private health insurance will be outlawed; it just isn't going to happen.

Yeah, but you seem to be convinced that Obama really is after 100% identical health care for all -- no additional insurance/self-funded procedures allowed. As liberal as he is, I just don't think that's really what he's after. If it is, and if he gets it, he'll be committing political suicide.

Check out this article:

The "page 16" snippet (that Obama claims he's unfamiliar with) *might* have been someone's attempt to kill off private insurance, but the "it's just poorly written" explanation seems far more likely. Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence and all...

I'm OK with patching them up enough that they don't die on their free trip back to Mexico. :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Another article you might like to read:

Joel Koltner

[snip]
[snip]

Never Let a Good Crisis Go To Waste

?You don?t ever want a crisis to go to waste; it?s an opportunity to do important things that you would otherwise avoid.?

? Rahm Emanuel

...Jim Thompson

Democrats are like cats...
They'll take a dump behind your couch and then feign ignorance

Both of the major political parties are familiar with that...

Yet some of them are lovable anyway? :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I never had too many problems with that. The occasional crash, yes.

They also broke the compatibility with DOS-Word. That was quite stupid of them.

Better tie that job into the company's MRP system. If done right engineers will quickly know what their new design costs and also try to use parts that are already released and/or preferred where possible. Spitting out and formatting the BOM as desired should be done by the CAD, so that it can be piped into the company's computer and the purchasers can get on the horn.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It's not that it hangs. It simply doesn't work.

Why? They own it all.

Not all information is on the schematic and there are several versions of the product built off the same schematics. We also need information stripped for thru-hole/SMT, hardware,... The BOM spit out by OrCad (not my choice) is incomplete and has to be massaged to build the final BOM. The BOM I built this week had about a third of the parts NoPop'd. The rules for all of this are fairly simple but it's easy to make a mistake. Access would make this process automatic.

There is no chance of tying what we do into purchasing's system. I can't even get an ID on the system, though our admin has one.

Reply to
krw

identical=20

allowed.=20

If it=20

have=20

=20

malice=20

I should like to remind you that, this question has argued in front of SCOTUS and the result has always been, that the actual language of the law is the intent of Congress. =20

HR 3200 is the bill, get a copy and read the first 20 pages or so. The intent is very clear. It will force everyone into the new single payer system, except for retirees who will have Medicare. Young people who change jobs will be forced onto it.

Reply to
JosephKK

Hi Joseph,

I can certanily accept that some authors of that bill were trying their darnedest to obtain single-payer system, but it just isn't going to be voted into law. From

:

"We've written before about conservatives claiming that Congress, or Obama, or Washington, or Democrats in general want the U.S. to have a Canadian-style, government-run health care system. The truth of the matter is that the president has repeatedly said he doesn't. In fact, since being sworn in as president, Obama has riled advocates of such single-payer systems by largely excluding them from the health care debate. He has answered several questions from members of the public who asked at town hall events: "why not" have such a system. Sen. Max Baucus of Montana, chairman of the Senate Finance Committee and one of the leaders in drafting legislation, has said bluntly: "single-payer is not going to get even to first base in Congress."

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

[...]

Strange, it does work for me. However, I have never accepted versions any younger than 2003 and probably will not for a while. Just as I do not run Vista and never will, in this office. MS-Office 2007 was IMHO not very good.

It was stupid because it has caused lots of folks and businesses (meaning Dollars) to defect to Sun and other vendors. Or in western speak, they shot themselves in the foot.

That is where Cadsoft Eagle really excels. You can script and program BOMs to the hilt. Even if all non-insert parts would have to be listed in Swahili that would be no problem. If only they hadn't screwed up the hierarchy. There is none :-(

That "no chance" changed dramatically in one company where this was also perceived as "impossible". All it requires is the right guys in management positions ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

What makes you think it will change under ObinableCare?

You don't understand. There is *NO* going back. We've seen that with Social Security and Medicare.

That's the deal. We're not talking about pie in the sky here. We're talking about the deal that is on the table.

Read the bill.

He's a liar.

Again, that is *NOT* the plan. Wake up!

Reply to
krw

XP and 2003.

A small number. Far more are locked in.

No schematic hierarchy? I'm just starting to use hierarchical design on a test fixture I'm designing. I should have done it on the last redesign of the main board but I was afraid to change anything I didn't have to.

I am certainly not going to become the IT guy (I have far more fun things to do). The only "management" that counts is the owner. ;-) He isn't about to spend more money on Southware seats right now.

Reply to
krw

[snip]

Amusing news snippet today: In Massachusetts, if Mexicans become "legal", they're NO LONGER ELIGIBLE for the FAILING Massachusetts health plan ;-)

...Jim Thompson

         Only Obama can prevent excessive tonsillectomies

Hi Keith,

OK, but for all the problems that social security and medicare have, surely a solid majority of people in this country would rather keep *them* rather than dismantle them, yes? As such, if Obamacare is the same way, and a solid majority of people support it... well, that's just how things are *supposed* to work in a democracy, even if it is a bit dumb.

Even if Jim's properly right-thinking great-granddaughter becomes president, I bet she'll keep SS and medicare around. :-)

I guarantee you that the current deal, as-written and free-standing, will not pass.

Maybe, but I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt; I did the same for Bush as well. (Bush is actually kinda intriguing... I think that history might show he wasn't nearly as bad as many people want to make him out to have been.)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

You must be an Independent! The "Liberals" still want to try Bush for the high crimes and misdemeanors of daring to be President ;-)