Schematic Entry Tools? (from: Silly Resistor Values)

Ok, I'm finally fed up with OrCad Crapture, so am looking for something that actually works. My basic needs are hierarchical entry and Allegro back-end compatibility (this is negotiable, but it won't be an easy sell). Cost is important, but Crapture isn't exactly free so there is room here. Compatibility (at least import) with Crapture would be a big bonus. Suggestions?

Reply to
krw

Check out Altium. They've cut their prices substantially (presuably to build up maintenance income) and you can import OrCad.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Pulsonix can import OrCAD files and libraries.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Mininova bit torrents, and the full bore version of whatever you want to run.

If you intend to profit, you should probably get or remain legit.

OutsideObserver

You like working with Altium? I'd still prefer Capture over Altium. I did some designs with Altium but I still prefer Capture because IMHO it is less complicated (even though I have a Protel Autotrax background).

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

gEDA - it runs under Linux. IIRR you can import Orcad stuff

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

But messes up reference designators for multi-part devices upon annotation, big time. So if Keith is doing analog stuff which I assume he does I'd (currently) suggest not to.

I've tried gEDA, running Ubuntu in a virtual machine. When mentioning the deficiency (politely) some folks on the gEDA newsgroup flew off the handle. That was my sign to hang it up for now and stay with Eagle. However, I can't recommend Eagle either. While close to perfect it lacks a very major feature: No hierarchy. Blows my mind how they could have missed that. So yes, I am also in the market but this time I take all the time I want, to make this the last CAD switch.

KiCad is a tad better than gEDA, IMHO, but also has some issues with multi-part devices.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

How do you mean "messes up"? Randomizes? Destroys what's already in concrete? "Messed up" reference designators must be fun when doing ECOs.

I'm beginning to believe that no one does hierarchy. Crapture says it does, but after a couple of weeks trying it's become obvious that they lie.

Good thing my main job will be inside FPGAs, soon. It's looking like all this stuff sucks worse than Crapture. Maybe that's why Cadence keeps the cow around.

Reply to
krw
[snip]

The old original Microsim (now PSpice) Schematics does it magnificently. I use it to design ASIC's... ask Charlie ;-)

[snip]

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Capture certainly does do hierarchical designs and has for some time. My only complaint is about the way that they name nets for the different instantiations of a given block.

[snip]

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

IT doesn't push the net name down into the lower hierarchy, screws the page cross-references, and is otherwise unusable. Other than that it crashes ten times a day and is just peachy. I had to spend a couple of days backing out the hierarchy just to get the work done. No, Crapture is fatally broken.

Reply to
krw

Which version? Years ago I have been using version 9.0 for FPGA development (not my idea). There are some issues which can cause trouble. IIRC this has to do with the numbering of the parts (Capture makes a difference between instances and occurences). The only version I've had crashes with is version 10.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

ry

ee

re

It works very well in Pulsonix.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Doesn't matter. I'm using 15.7, but 16.x is still equally flawed. Support confirmed it. The fix is to ignore sheet references, which means trusting that it's doing the right thing and giving up on readable documentation (no way to tell which sheet goes where); unacceptable. Of course if one doesn't use complex hierarchies this problem doesn't occur; hardly useful. No, Crapture is permanently broken.

Interestingly, I don't remember crashes with 10.0. Yes, instances/occurrences is another pile of steaming excrement, but one we've lived with.

Reply to
krw

Looks interesting. Can Allegro still be used as the layout tool? How much does this thing go for? I don't see a viewer. Your experiences with it would be appreciated.

Reply to
krw

If Cadence/OrCAD had any brains, they'd undo the PCB links they cut out of PSpice Schematics, relabel it, and replace Capture with it. However they have no brains, and their "talent" is in India, so I'd recommend everyone abandon OrCAD completely.

...Jim Thompson

Democrats are like cats...
They\'ll take a dump behind your couch and then feign ignorance

Up until very recently I wasn't too interested in rocking the boat. Pushing it a little I now see what a stinking pile OrCad is. I only want Allegro compatibility because we have a lot invested in it and I have no say in what layout software gets used. We still support products using OrCAD Layout.

Reply to
krw

entry

't

free

pture

in

he

cks

it

It starts at about $3,000. It can't export to Allegro, but they might add that if requested. The demo acts as a viewer. It is very good but I'm one of their beta-testers, so I'm biased.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

I've read a bunch of their site and have downloaded the demo to take a closer look. It appears that it's more of a layout tool with a capture front end, rather than a standalone capture tool. I'll look more, but I don't think that's going to cut it. Too many licenses would be required, for functions we don't use. As I said earlier, changing entry tools is possible, layout will involve a lot more people in the decision.

Reply to
krw

If you place a part with power on U17A, then U17B, C, and D must remain in the same chip for noise and decoupling reasons annotate blows that all apart. Doesn't leave them together. IMHO quite useless that way, at least for sensitive analog stuff.

OrCad-SDT did hierarchies perfectly, never crashed on me, not once. Then the company was bought :-(

That would totally bore me, I'd need tons of coffee :-)

They have a huge customer base because of the great foundation OrCad laid back in the early 90's. But that can erode quickly, the millisecond a better CAD comes around that dooesn't cost an arm and a leg.