Strange resistor nomenclature

Hello,

I've seen in a few schematics lately a resistor nomenclature that is new to me, such as "6K8" or "4K7". In such a designation, what do the "8" and "7" refer to? If it weren't for the added eight and seven, I would assume six kilo-ohms and four kilo-ohms, but the added designators are confusing.

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken
6k8 = 6800 Ohms (6.8 kOhms) 4k7 = 4700 Ohms (4.7 kOhms) 3M3 = 3300000 Ohms (3.3 MOhms)

Hope that helps,

Sean

J> Hello,

Reply to
Sean O'Byrne

Aha, thanks, Sean. Makes perfect sense now.

J> 6k8 = 6800 Ohms (6.8 kOhms)

"7"

six

Reply to
Jon Danniken

It started in Europe. It caught on elsewhere for practical reasons.

*-decimal-point+8th-generation-photocopies

Reply to
JeffM

I have seen even stranger nomenclature on capacitors. These were in Nuts and Volts schematics. I forget now the exact format, but I was never sure what those meant.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

The SI system decimal multiplier prefix symbol is used in place of a decimal point. Very sensible as decimal points are easily lost (or gained) in poor quality print.

Where a multipler of 1 is needed the symbol representing the unit of measurement is used instead.

0R47 would represent a 0.47 ohm resistor for example.

You can find a list of SI prefix multipliers and symbols here

nospam

Careful with this list.

m used for both milli and micro. n for nono? I know what a nano-second is, but what the heck is is a nono-second?

--
James T. White
Reply to

Accepted, I didn't check this page it was just the first web reference I found.

This one looks better

Now I know what a nonillionvigintillion is. There's a word that doesn't get many Google hits and all point to copies of the same page.

Reply to
nospam

A very small part of 7 of games that Nolan Ryan pitched? :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Hello, James! You wrote on Wed, 9 Nov 2005 15:00:36 -0600:

JTW> Careful with this list.

JTW> m used for both milli and micro. JTW> n for nono? I know what a nano-second is, but what the heck is is a JTW> nono-second?

Obviously thats no time at all

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
3T39

Its to make sure that the decimal point doesn't get lost when documents are copied.

Reply to
CWatters

It also saves one character space. Comes handy in crowded schematics.

--

    Boris Mohar
Reply to

It means 6.8k ohms and 4.7k ohms.