Should a Technician do engineering?

I heard an interview with a trial lawyer. He said "I love engineers as witnesses. They aren't capable of lying."

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

te:

rote:

.

nsor?

e.

s, it

I can only imagine it is some circle of lawyer paranoia, lawyers wanting to make sure the resumes that could potentially have something in them that would make it "dangerous" to reject them, are rejected for "safe" reasons or otherwise handled so that mere mortals like you wouldn't accidentially says something other lawyers could use to sue

hopefully

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

You're, of course, wrong as usual.

No it isn't. In every company I've worked in, HR filters resumes, in theory for obvious problem cases. In reality, far more.

Reply to
krw

3R3 would also have been easier to spot, easy to forget the 330 = 33u and 331 = 330u,

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

you

That could just mean they aren't good at it. To be honest, i.e. to be willing to tell the truth and deal justly even when it sends you to jail or costs you your house, is rare and precious everywhere.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

[...]

And your answer to this question is ... missing. Does that mean you don't have one? Or you've realized you were wrong?

In every company I've worked at this filtering and whether or not it happens at all is up to the hiring manager. As it should be.

HR then looked at our short lists and that's where they come in, for example when there are obvious red flags we didn't see. Same later, when stuff like background checks or whatever has to be done. But that has nothing to do with the offered talent pool, which I prefer to see in its entirety.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The parts are marked "330", which might mean 33 uH, or 330 uH, depending on who is making them.

Grrrrrr.

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Sure looks like it to me. I do not have such paranoia. I've gone to the mat with legal folks a few times and I can hold my ground quite well there. A few have found out the hard way :-)

What rejection danger should there be? When you have a stash of 40 resumes on your desk and those are all for one position then obviously

39 applicants will not get this job. For me the decision was always solely based on qualification for the job, experience, stuff like that, and I can't see what's wrong with that.

Before taking this job I made it rather clear that I expect it to be like that. It did scare some folks a bit but not for any legal reasons. It was because I hired a lot of folks from outside the medical device industry. On purpose, and that has paid off for the company, big time.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Sabotage to my knowledge isn't practiced at my location. What I see though, is the glory hunter engineers doing a good job on their own at discrediting themselves.

I suppose the same could be said in a lot of different fields.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

BEcause I chose not to answer a question twice doesn't mean I didn't answer it. Please do read, Joerg.

After the resumes have already been filtered by HR.

Sure, they do the leg work but in *every* large company and many small, they

*DO* filter resumes, likely several times (some automated, gulp), *BEFORE* the hiring manager sees them. That is simply a fact.
Reply to
krw

You clearly did not come up with an answer.

No.

It is not. I had explicitly told them not to filter (except for gross typos and such) and so they did not filter. Those are the real facts.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Good grief, Joerg, READ! I said that HR puts the screens in place to avoid suits. They're *NOT* going to ignore that because some line manager tells them to! Now, are you going to insist that I say this again?!

You're, once again, very wrong.

How long ago? Your management clearly hadn't had their asses sued off, yet. They will.

Reply to
krw

No thanks John, I have plenty of work already that will keep me busy for some time. And as far as an engineer? I design, build and test my stuff.

I do often have a few others join in on my applications and the same goes when they want me to help them.

Besides, you couldn't afford me any way ;)

John, I have a couple of co-eng that work that way, I do remind them from time to time, they should not bite the hand that feeds them, they don't listen, of course. One of them has one foot out the door as it is.

You seem to be taking this kind of hard? If I didn't know any better, I would say you are suffering from acute guiltiness ?

Maybe that's normal for you, since you are the boss at your place. I guess you can pretty much do as you please, and that includes sucking up as much valuable information from an employee before you bag 'em.

Back in 2010, we had an engineer employed with us that used to pay an out side firm to do all of his design work using the company's money. He would put his name on the job then farm out labor to build / install it. He no longer works there because he ran into many problems when stuff didn't work as planned and didn't have the answers, most likely because he didn't design the actual circuits and would be thumbs and fingers when looking over the prints hoping some one would chime in to save the day. He totally wanted exclusive credit for it everything.

Don't worry John, the way PLC's and micro-controllers are picking up in speed and versatility, they won't need you any more either!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

it

_What_ lawsuits? You are an engineer so please be specific. "Oh the goons will come and we are sooo afraid!" is not a valid answer. _What_ will the accusations be?

I would like you to truly answer the question and not just state some platitude. If you can, that is.

theory

Believe what you want. I know it happened as I said.

the

A little over a decade ago.

No, they will not. A lawsuit can only be successful if a law or a contract has been broken. Neither has been.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Actually I am not parochial. I've found the Ivy League designers are often pretty bad, especially MIT. Believe it or not, many MIT grads can't draw the circuit diagrams for simple logic gates. I gather the school is very much into CAD, but not into teaching what goes into CAD. Or those courses aren't required. That is, people who compile silicon don't know how to design the basic logic circuit. The trouble is in mixed mode chips, you can't throw a lot of silicon at the project. Everything needs to be fine tuned.

I'm not sure if you have used many logic simulators, but most can't handle set-reset FFs very well. They prefer D type. My point being in some tight designs, you need to use SR. You might not even have a clock in the traditional sense, i.e. the circuit self-clocks. This is not the kind of circuitry that "compiles."

Reply to
miso

it

Discrimination, mostly. Pick your minority.

theory

In your little part of the universe, I don't doubt things are "different". Where the rest of us live, companies are scared shitless of lawsuits.

the

Utter nonsense! No contract is necessary! No wrong doing is even necessary. It's all about CYA, because the suit *WILL* happen. If you don't think so, you've been hiding your head for decades.

Reply to
krw

listen to

arises, it

What can possibly be discriminating in the fact that I wan't to see _all_ resumes instead of a filtered subset? Now don't get me wrong but your logic is becoming rather weird, or bizarre.

theory

Strange, in my universe they are not. And I am not either. Neither were my parents, ever, and maybe that has something to do with it.

they

the

Or maybe, just maybe, I've been fair in such decisions? Anyhow, in a management position I am not going to be told whom I have to hire, ever.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

e no

as you

Intellectual honesty seems very difficult. We all love our own ideas first. Embracing someone else=92s idea takes time. You first have to see the flaws in your 'pet' idea.

George H.

t -

Reply to
George Herold

Or, the opposite!

I once watched a project fail miserably, BECAUSE the major contributors could only see the flaws in their simple, familiar approach, and saw a new approach as a panacea for all those ills. Thus, they traded what they understood, with all its flaws, for what they did NOT understand, and a new set of yet undiscovered flaws. The grass is NOT greener. [compare: the two approaches obtained the same functionality. Old was six months to market, new was 20 months. Old was expected to be laughed at by customers - WRONG, customers wouldn't care about what's under the hood, just *IF* it works, or not.] Sadly, at the time, I was new to the industry and I worked for them, not the other way around. So had little/no influence.

Reply to
Robert Macy

listen to

arises, it

answer

good grief you're dense this week. A standard filter avoids a *lot* of potential suits because it demonstrates that everyone is treated equally. Information is often stripped from the resumes, or they're simply discarded if there is information that could be used to discriminate. Add your race, or even a picture of yourself, and HR bins the resume. This is very serious stuff in any, even half-assed, corporation. Believe what you want, but you're

*wrong*.

theory

Perhaps the doctor dropped you on your head instead of swatting your backside?

they

*BEFORE* the

Now you're building one of the famous Joerg strawmen. HR won't tell a manager who to hire, but they *DO* filter who you can interview.

Reply to
krw