Should a Technician do engineering?

We got much of ours from DOD, including funding, despite our work not being even remotely defense related. Go figure. I jes know some of these classifications and numbers were, in part, determined by insurance concerns.

That's the bottom line. Not the DOE or insurance or company policy, but your boss. Not saying you gotta suck up, but better not cross him. He can, and will, break you on a whim.

Good luck to you. ;)

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!

When I was analog engineering manager at OmniComp/GenRad I used to blacklist ASU ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I never blacklisted anyone, and never will.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Which one is that?

Today, you won't have any choice. The lawyers are on HR's side.

Reply to
krw

John. We have a process engineer at work from India that has his degree in sanitation. He is a sanitation engineer by degree but we have nothing to do with "SHIT" at our place, other than what we some times make by mistake.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

You've got that backwards. If the conditions are such that you're even

*looking* elsewhere, don't stay where you are, no matter what they offer.

"Looking for a career advancement", "more responsibility", or some such, and leave it at that. If you're still employed, they're very unlikely to ask/investigate further.

Reply to
krw

I see you also work/worked in the real world :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

And I have none?

And I have no certification paper work?

I guess the 6 years of technical school and 4 years of collage meant nothing then. This was of course, back in the 70's I've since then have been in various fields that are closely related acquiring much more from actual hands on, something you don't get in school along with updates as needed.

Judging one by public group conduct and material is not really an accurate association of what and who you are. You could find yourself sitting there baffled one day when throws you a curve ball.

Of course, I could say the same about you and not be correct in my assumptions. Public opinion of an individual can back fire and thus discredit those making the false statements.

But as I see it here, this place to me, looks nothing short than a stop off at the local pub after work. And you know how wield the stories can get from those questionable people, at least you should have an idea.

I do not discredit any one for knowing something worth while just because they may not have a piece of paper to flash around. In the last few years that I've been were I am at now, it is a wonder how some of these recently graduated engineers got there certs. I think today's colleges should be heavily scrutinized, it is damaging our image.

Hell, I think Phil(Down under Phil), as ignorant as he can be with his poor communications skills is most likely light years ahead of a large majority here.

it comes down this.. Walking and Talking..

And if you knew how many interview failures there were after putting the presented degrees and resumes documents aside and going to a one on one interview, you'd be shocked at the stupidity that shows up at our place.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

We still use some GenRad equipment at work, required by Federal GOV as part of a test on some mill spec products going in subs and what not.

We have Agilent equipment there but can't get the GOV to accept that as a certify test jig on some jobs for what ever reason? Maybe they know something we don't ? These would be IR and DCR bridges.

A question aroused some people the other day as to what is going to happen when the surplus of GenRad's runs out ?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

now

of

oolean

onic

er

per

ther

common

oing

in

n't

no

l have

Right, and if your university reclassified your Bachelor's degree as "high school diploma," that shouldn't matter either, right? You know you did college level work and that's the most important thing. So what if future employers arbitrarily dump your resume without ever reading it?

Right, so a mere "Technician" probably pushes the mail cart.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

e no

ll have

likely

w it.

If you got 1000 resumes for one opening, you would sit down and plow through the entire 1000? You wouldn't relish the chance to screen some out before reading?

Reply to
spamtrap1888

It also dictates what your suppose to be doing, or how much you need to do. If others come into position, it specifies differences in work.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

You mean you don't exclude those who majored in basket-weaving?

In the mid-70's, ASU graduates couldn't tie their own shoe laces. I understand that they've now improved... somewhat... UofA still excels as the best engineering school in AZ. ...Jim Thompson

Well put professionalism as usual from Mr. Wescott.

Thanks.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC

Do you have only design engineers then?

Good grief, a wood pencil? I like those only for nostalgic purposes.

I'm a full blown pencil fanatic. I have 0.2mm, 0.3mm, 0.4mm, 0.5mm,

0.7mm, and 0.9mm. Some of them in multiple lead hardness'.

Look up the 0.2mm Pentel PG2-AD. That is a beautiful piece of engineering. Too bad they discontinued it. I've bought myself a big stash.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC
crobcBOGUS@REMOVETHISsbcglobal.net
SuSE 10.3 Linux 2.6.22.17
Reply to
Mr.CRC

One of the factors that always makes me not pull the trigger on taking another job is the fact that I am extremely well equipped, have my own lab, and have tremendous freedom to pick interesting projects, or make them up. There are some age of eligibility to collect pension issues too.

It's hard to imagine any company that would be superior in this regard.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC
crobcBOGUS@REMOVETHISsbcglobal.net
SuSE 10.3 Linux 2.6.22.17
Reply to
Mr.CRC

I know quite a few folks with no degree at all who are very good circuit level designers.

Well, I usually do not pay much attention which university someone comes from. It typically takes less than 10 minutes to find out whether someone has true hands-on experience or not and that's what matters to me.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

For example Endosonics, where I headed a division. I told HR that we wanted all resumes. That request was clearly understood and honored. It was the same before that, with MicroSound. Oh, and I or one of the engineering managers actually wrote the job ads.

No, not in our case and I would not have accepted it. How can a lawyer or anyone legally force us to censor resumes?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

We never received more than a few dozen resumes for EE positions and the average resume quality was good. Because our ads told rather clearly what was expected of the candidates. If we did have to screen I'd be ok under one condition, and that one is not negotiable: I or the respective hiring manager gets to set the screeing parameters, not HR.

Nowadays my clients do that and I typically advise them to use the same strategy.

A well-written resume can be screened by eye very quickly. If it's not well-written that is a good sign that the candidate might not be so great.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Really, would you conceal a defect just to spite some engineers?

I don't know. Do you produce original documents?

You used the term "just a pencil pushing engineer" as if drawing is a bad thing. I like to draw.

I am in fact baffled today. We have started production on a digitizer box, and it's powered by an isolated DC/DC converter, which was discussed here. One of the first five units draws excess power supply current, and gets hotter than the others, and the inverter waveforms are slightly different. And after playing with it for most of the day, I have no idea why.

I spend entirely too much of my life asking the question, "where is the current going" ? It almost looks like the ADC, in the center of both thermal images, is using a lot more power on one unit.

If things are that bad where you work, are you looking for another job? I sure would. Actually, I'd quit and then look for a better job. I've done that before.

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com