Scopes with isolated inputs

I need another scope.

Currently I'm using an old real time scope and a Fluke Scopemeter with isolated inputs. The Fluke doesn't work well on SMPSU, too much crap couples between channels.

I'm looking for 4 channels with isolated inputs, ideally not too expensive. Any recommendations?

Reply to
Raveninghorde

The Tek TPS2000 series is great. We have a 2024 and I use it to work on power amplifiers and such. I can measure the gate-source voltage of a power mosfet, or opamp voltages, of stuff that's 200 volts off ground. You just don't care where you clip the probe ground lead. But they are expensive, starting at $3K.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The 2024 is £2940 ($4650) from Farnell. More than I like but a good spec.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

If you're doing audio/power stuff, the 2012 would be fine.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Another option would be to buy some of these Yokogawa differential probes...

They are around $500 each and I find that the common mode rejection is much better than the Tekronix isolated input scopes I have used in the past.

boB

Reply to
boB

The tek tps scopes also pick alot of noise on an smps. Just run your smps from an isolation transformer then you can ground what you like. Much cheaper too.

Reply to
cbarn24050

Hmm. How do you get 100MHz through test leads? I'm still looking for a diff probe where I can use normal probes. Maybe even 3 probes. Hook one to a reference point and the other two to signals.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

an isolation transformer then you can ground what you like. Much cheaper too.

Yes, I do this too, but those isolation transformers can have lots of capacitance from primary to secondary. I suppose I could use one with a faraday shield inbetween, but then where does that get tied ? Might not make it work the best.

As for a differential probe with BNC to use a regular probe with, I have wondered about that myself. I'd rather use a real probe but the leads work. Kinda funky in a lot of ways though. Very big for one.

I guess we need some kind of mini-probe for those hard to get to places. boB

Reply to
boB

$2460.

Reply to
JW

an isolation transformer then you can ground what you like. Much cheaper too.

You might poke around at

I picked up a set of their spring-loaded DMM microtips I'm pretty happy with. Decent price and I can probe a 0.5mm TQFP without bridging or slipping off the pin. No experience with their differential probe.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

from an isolation transformer then you can ground what you like. Much cheaper too.

I liked these DMM probes so much I bought an extra set:

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Spot on.

Won't ship outside USA :(

Reply to
Raveninghorde

It's a great scope. Ship it to me and I'll forward it.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Thanks for the offer.

Ship to your business address?

Reply to
Raveninghorde

Yup. Email me about the details.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Here's one:

The Phantom

Grrrr.

Testpath gave the order details to Tek. Tek UK rang this morning, the short of it is they won't let me pay in the UK even if the scope is delivered in the USA.

They've passed me over to the local TekSelect agent. Waiting to see what they'll quote. Not expecting a sensible price.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

Still looking at this.

The standard probes supplied with the 2024 are only rated for the probe ground to be within 30V ac of ground.

The P5210 high voltage probe which does 600V ac betweeen probe ground and ground swll at £2020, $3130, each - plus power supply.

I'm now going to check what my Fluke probes are rated at, I may have close to an accident more often than I realized.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

That's crazy. We ignore silly specs like that.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I have to sign onto it before my scope will drop the legal splash screen! Then I can ignore it.. at least my car automatically drops the nav splash warning screen after a period of time. But does have the annoying habit of saying "if possible make a LEGAL U-turn". It got screwed up and kept sending me back and forth east-west four blocks when the actual destination was a couple blocks further west, all the time reminding me to make a _legal_ U-turn. Technology is wonderful.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany