What is an adc with pseudo-differential inputs?

Hi. I've done some reading (eg Horowitz & Hill and other books), but I can't find an explanation to what pseudo-differential inputs is. Could someone explain or direct me to an application note?

Thanks

Juan Herrera

Reply to
juanfhj

Hi, Juan. Pseudo-differential inputs means the ADC actually has two inputs. The ADC measures both inputs, then calculates and gives you the difference between the two.

You have to be aware that pseudo-differential input range doesn't mean the same thing as input range. You can have single supply +5V ADCs which advertise an input range of +5V to -5V. This merely means the difference between the two inputs -- you're still limited to a 0 to

+5V amplitude on either input.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

Maxim has a discussion of differential and pseudo-differential inputs at:

Note that the advantage of true differential inputs is that any common mode noise is removed automatically by the implicit subtraction of the + and - inputs. Pseudo-differential typically doesn't do that (or at least, not as well) since the + and - channels are independent and are typically not converted at the same time. So only low frequencies and DC are removed by this method... but that's still useful for devices that have DC common mode present, like strain gages, etc.

Best regards,

Bob Masta D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta