Solution for 4 wire plug ?

HI,

I am making a few boxed circuit. I am thinking of using a telephone jack so I can communicate between two boxes ( I need 4 wires) Until now it was good, telephone jacks are popular so they are fairly cheap. The problem is that I do not have any square bits that fits on my drills ;) I mean puncturing a square on the side of a plastic box is time consuming. Especially if you are about to do 50+. Anybody have a trick to make fast and almost perfect square. Or even a round connector would be better, but I could not find any under 2$, Its only for communication purposes, Thanks

ken

Reply to
captoro

Three possibilities. (1) make a square hole. Classic methods: chisel, router (you DID say plastic), or drill and follow up with a square punch (the drill hole is for the bolt that pulls the square punch into its die). A nibbler is a kind of manual square-hole maker, for thin sheet metal. Square drills exist. Electrochemical machining, or abrasive blasting, can do it. The hole can be in any material, just fasten that material to your box.

(2) Buy a square hole (panels, like for electric outlets, are available that take snap-in telephone-like sockets).

(3) > HI,

Reply to
whit3rd

A punch is fairly quick. When its not quick enough I've sometimes used a lead coming out the box with connector on the end.

NT

Reply to
NT

a square drill?

?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

My solution was a dremel with a drill stand. Turn the dremel sideways, and put the smallest router bit I could find. Put a platform next to the drill, and carefully route out the edges of the hole. If you need it really square, use a triangle file to sharpen the corners. The platform lets you keep the box flat and steady for hand cutting.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Take a look at PS2 connectors.... circular and 6 pin. PS2 cables (plugs) are dirt cheap too.....

Reply to
TTman

Custom dies for the Roper Whitney XX punch aren't all that expensive.

<

Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

Nice! Thanks, Don, for the link! ...Jim Thompson

CNC Routing works very nicely!

I am getting a miller soon with DRO on it. THere are small semi CNC drive kits you can put on these things that work with the DRO encoders so that you can perform basic automation operations..

I've seen a cheap chinese miller used as a base to make chassis panel cut outs and PC software.

These low cost millers are great for starter bases to make such automation construction tools.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

only because thery're obsolete.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Ray

They were dirt cheap when the PS/2 was designed. They wouldn't have been used, otherwise. Of course an annual run rate of hundred million, or so, does wonders for driving down costs, unless the government is involved, of course.

Reply to
krw

Make a metal cookie cutter in the shape needed. Heat it up with a heat gun and use it to melt the hole.

A hot hole punch for plastic.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

If his plastic boxes are of a brittle nature, a punch will cause fracturing.

A blade edged 'leather punch' or 'cookie cutter' type punch is needed and then heat as well will speed things up.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Yeah, he is gonna run right out and buy one of those.

I made a piezo driven lathe tool head that would cut a square peg from round stock on a spinning lathe. The external version of this in a way. Ten years ago. But that was not what they were for.

Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

There are hole punches for square, rectangular, "D" connectors, etc..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Oh...did anyone say "Greenlee"?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I have a square one, but it's like 5/8" :-( ...Jim Thompson

Got any broken drill bits? Bob's your uncle.

Father Haskell

Drill a round hole, and then use a dremel and dentists burr to clean up the corners of the square.

Reply to
SoothSayer