Oscilloscope recommendations

I've been in the TV business 26 yrs and am still using a 1979 model scope 30mhz Leader. Is there a big advantage to these new digital scopes? I've also got a Fluke 123 scopemeter that's 20mhz that I'm not thrilled with. Any recommendations for a TV guy who also dabbles in pinball repair that uses digital timing on ICs. I can't make any sense of any digital signals with the old scope or the Fluke.

Reply to
RonKZ650

Based on your stated applications, you could get a heck of a lot of performance out of one of the older Tektronix 7000 series instruments.

I would suggest a 7603 mainframe, a 7B53 timebase, and a 7A26 vertical plug-in. All should be available from ham swap meets or greed- bay at pretty reasonable prices. In fact, I'd be surprised if the whole thing cost you more than $100-$150. This setup will be good from DC to at least 100MHz.

If you need higher bandwidth to grow with as your needs change, I would suggest a 7704 (250MHz), 7904 (500MHz), or (if you really need gigahertz bandwidth) a 7104 mainframe, coupled with appropriate plug- ins.

If you would like something 'luggable,' yet versatile, I would suggest a 465 or 475 series portable 'scope, preferably with the multimeter option.

You may also want to look into a 7D20 digitizer. They were practically made for the 7603.

Happy hunting. Don't forget decent probes!

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"
Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

Good advice. I picked up one of these in that $ range a while back and it is a great scope other than needing a lift to move it. There are tons of these out there and mopules are cheap.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Thanks for the recommendations guys. These look pretty good. Any thoughts on the new lower end Tektonics like the TDS2014 which is a 4 challel 100mhz color digital scope? About $2000, i was a thinkin. Thanks.

Reply to
RonKZ650