What is the voltage of a Li-Ion cell?

I looked on the web, and for some reason there is conflicting info. From 1.2 volts to 4.2????

I'm asking about ONE Cell only.

The reason is because I have a solar panel that was used for a Li-Ion battery powered solar light. The batteries are trash, but the solar panel is working. I'm sure I can find other uses for it. It's about

5x6 inches, so it should put out something useful.

Thanks

Reply to
tangerine3

ONE cell manufactured by WHOM ???

Reply to
hamilton

They're usually charged at 4.2V and below ~3.5V they're dead. The useful discharge area is between ~3.6V and 4.1V. After 3.6V they drop off fast.

Don't expect a fixed voltage out of a solar panel.

Reply to
krw

As always, the data sheet is the only source of information you can rely on.

That said, a Li-Ion cell usually has a nominal voltage of 3.6V. Note that this only a nominal voltage. A fully charged Li-Ion cell is probably about 4.0V or perhaps even more. Fully discharged, maybe about 3.0V.

--
RoRo
Reply to

Good point... they don't list the standard electrode potentials here...

or here:
or here:

Maybe string together three 1.2V NiMH or NiCd batteries in series? Do you have a voltmeter? Can you measure the voltage your solar panel generates in full sunlight?

Michael

Reply to
Michael

The hardest part of an answer is figuring out the question. Sounds like you're interested in the characteristics of the solar cell???

It's useful to start with the battery voltage, but there are so many solar light topologies that you may be lead astray.

The thing to do is measure the short circuit current and open circuit voltage of the solar cell under full sunlight and the dimmest light where you expect it to work.

The graph lines between those pairs of points are not anywhere near straight, but are similar for many cell technologies and can be looked up. OR you could measure more points along the load line.

You will be disappointed in what you can get out of a solar cell with less than full sun illumination.

Reply to
mike

Google for MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracker), but unfortunately, it will not help you too much, if you have too unrealistic expectations.

Reply to
upsidedown

snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

the Samsung prismatic Li-ion cell from a cellphone says on it

3.7V,1800mAH,6.6 WH.

p/n EB625152VA fully charged,it will be about 4.2V,IIRC.

other Li-ion cells I have say 3.6V. but that is discharged,as they come off the charger at 4.2V.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik