Scope day

pull the trigger...

firmware revision 10 or above, and this unit only has 9.x.

are?

Thanks John. It'll take a few weeks for this to arrive - if I find that I need to upgrade the firmware I'll contact you.

John

Reply to
JM

Tom,

I've just seen your posts on the Yahoo TeK group. If the SD14's are OK with version 9.xx which heads are supported in 10.xx that aren't in 9.xx? It's really the SD22 and SD24 that I'll be using most - is the SD24 jitter bug present in 9.xx?

John

Reply to
JM

oth

e a

sn't

f the

imes,

wo

to pull the trigger...

ave firmware revision 10 or above, and this unit only has 9.x.

me are?

Yes, it's really for use with SD22 and SD24 heads. I'm shocked at the pric= e of head extender leads though (circa $750!). If it wasn't for the fact t= hat I've used an 11801 in the past and so am familiar with the performance = I'd have been very tempted to go with the HP 54120, since heads for that mo= del effectively have a built in extender lead.=20

John

Reply to
JM

I honestly haven't tried it. You did get a good deal on that scope. I have the SD14, SD24, and the SD26 and they all seem to work fine. I also have an SD42 for optical pulse work.

One thing for sure is you will want to replace the two battery backed ram chips on the Time Base Controller board (bottom of scope). Here is a source of a known good replacement. You will need to get two of them.

Also, check the data code on the four Li batteries on the cards. Two on the memory board, one on the uP board and one on the I/O board. If they are more than 20 years old, you will be close to the end.

Reply to
tm

I globbed the end with an epoxy cone and made a not-too-ugly replacement tip. Works fine.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

snip

???????

Reply to
tm

OK, try this one:

Dropbox still doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

That worked. Nice job. What did you use for the pin? The epoxy? I wonder if JB Weld would be ok? Once done, that's the end game.

Thanks, tm

Reply to
tm

Hi, Tom,

The pins are something we bought to make some little serial flash adapter boards. They are Digikey ED5056-ND, with one end clipped off and filed flat.

The epoxy is "PC-7" epoxy paste from the hardware store. It's pretty ugly stuff, but worked.

Right, you probably only get to do this once.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Have you seen my SD24 pics?

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

Quite a lot of technology packed in that little box. It even looks repairable if you have access to a bonder. Did you make the adapter board for the Flash memory? I found a source for the original 8 pin dips. So far I haven't had any problems.

Someone needs to do the photos of the SD-26 to see how they add the TDR pulse function. It seems to be derived from the calibrate source.

tm

Reply to
tm

I have an SD26, so maybe I'll open it up if I have time... not the next month or so for sure. I bet it's a depopulated SD24. Actually, I'd prefer to open an SD22, since it's likely to be different. Or one of the faster ones, like the 40 GHz one.

I think that flash adapter is a Bellin, but we do make our own now. The serial flash chips die in these heads, now and then.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

tm

This looks interesting.

tm

Reply to
tm

$39 from Digikey, not cheap !!

Reply to
hamilton

Any reason you'd go to eBay? 93C46 parts are current production and something like 20 cents apiece. Do these ahave to be NS?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

None whatsoever. It was just the first search I did. Mouser does not have the 93C46N part in stock and shows it eol for Fairchild.

tm

Reply to
tm

I recall our having trouble getting the DIPs, so we use SO8s and adapters. We made room on one adapter for a code ID label, too.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I'm not surprised they're going EOL, I first used them around 1990. Pretty good run for any chip, let alone a memory chip.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Very snazzy--that's a lot of technical wizardry for ~$100 a pop on eBay!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

-- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net

Phil Hobbs