Scope day

In 1999 when I started at the national lab, and until just a few years ago, most of our labs had 500MHz or so TDS7xx series scopes.

Once the Tek TDS3000 series came out, the knob responsiveness was so much better that I would pull my hair out any time I tried to use a lab scope. So I'd quickly run to get my portable TDS3000 and fix the scientists' problems using that.

Eventually most of the labs upgraded to TDS3000 series, then over the past few years I've only bought Agilent (plus one LeCroy).

When you are running a business though, buying a lot of performance on a low budget is wise. I just hope you don't kill too much time waiting for the old scopes to do something after incrementing a knob.

Oh, I did mistakenly buy a Tek MSO4054 a few years back. I hate the thing. It seems to take 10 seconds to do *anything* when the deep memory is selected. One gets conditioned to just not wait for a scope after using Agilent for a while.

I'm going to start polling around work to see if someone will buy me another little Agilent 3000X or maybe even a Yokogawa that costs 1/3 to

1/2 the price of the Tek, and they can have the Tek.

Or maybe our new Laser Technologist can use it.

That reminds me, I have to inquire next week as to why I discovered this morning that he (and a new post-doc) were using a 70MHz scope to look at

8ns laser pulses?!?!

When he started I had him derive the relationship between BW and rise time. Yet he seems to have missed the point. He's a great mathematician with a B.S. in physics, and no practical wits whatsoever. Hopefully he'll learn...

It's hard to relate to people who didn't learn their practical skills from doing this stuff (sans theory) from the time of pre-adolescence like I did.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC

I agree. I got a soldering iron for my tenth birthday, right after Woodstock. ;)

The TDS700 series does have that lag--you just have to learn to count one, two, five, ten, twenty, fifty....

The TDS6es are much more responsive. OTOH I got my 4-channel, 500 MHz,

2 Gs/s TDS744A for $825 including shipping. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I've got an HP 54600B (i.e., before Agilent). Whatever it's got inside, it was done correctly, i.e., turn a knob and it instantly responds. It might take a few seconds to acquire and think as it redraws the trace and calculates functions, but the response to input is always instant.

I can't understand how anyone allowed Tek to release their DSOs (like the

6xx) where you can't even see if your knob turn has been parsed before you've gone about a mile past where you wanted. The menus are a pain too (oh, you want another measurement? you'll have to stop what you're doing, clear one and try again!).

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Yeah, but you could at least have sold them to a dealer instead of trashing them.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The ones we had had a lot of use on them, well, there was some that were in new operating shape and used in the lab.

The units for the most part of ok however, we needed to automate the process a bit more and these units just didn't have the proper interface needed to make it easy.

If people ever knew the manual labor that went into making mill spec mica epoxy dipped capacitors, they would understand the need to find a batter way.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

My new DPO2024 takes about a minute to boot up, and the vertical position controls have just enough time lag to be annoying. But it's pretty nice otherwise.

The best button is "default setup", the answer to "how the hell do I get out of here?"

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

It makes you wonder how he killed so many of them.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I understand Phil, but you have to understand the mind of big business, at times, they'd rather see it crushed in front of them before allowing any one else to have them.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

the

Oh, I know, believe me. IBM crushed some ridiculous amount of beautiful new stuff back in 1992.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

doesn't

the

...and 2001.

Reply to
krw

The modern equivalent of "if all else fails, turn it off then turn back on". Now that the settings get remembered...

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I think there's even an "undo" for the "default setup" key.

That's better than the damned "auto" button, which I've been tempted to physically rip off at least three scopes.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

I asked the seller, and he explained:

"The scope itself was purchased from tektronix a few months back. Probably used on a production floor their. The display driver board is an early design but works fine. I replaced the CRT/yoke combo, as the old one was near death. This may be one of the very first built, which is not necisarily bad, as they would be learning what is possible, some early models do outperform production. It is typical for tek to mix and match parts for internal use, just not for retail sale. So the front panel was their choice, the only difference is the stencilling. The case with the square knock outs is correct. I have had three other 694C's, this one is functionally the nicest. Rise time is always much better than published on these, and no seporate trigger required, nice. I do not recall if the front panel or printer port have the original capacitors or not, if so, consider replacing them. The power supply, processor board, and acquisition board looked great."

So it looks like it's a nicely refurbed Tek internal test mule. Works great, anyhow.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The only worse button than "auto" is the "LAUNCH ALL MISSILES NOW!" button.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC
crobcBOGUS@REMOVETHISsbcglobal.net
SuSE 10.3 Linux 2.6.22.17
Reply to
Mr.CRC

Anyone who wants one of those nice Tek sampling scopes might want to check out this one:

Looks like it's ready to go, and you can't beat the price. (I have two already, so I'm not buying it.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I snagged this one (11802/SD14), and wonder if I was a little too quick to pull the trigger...

According to the SD14 manual, to use in an 11802 the mainframe should have firmware revision 10 or above, and this unit only has 9.x.

Does anyone know what the implications of using an SD14 in this mainframe are?

Reply to
JM

the trigger...

firmware revision 10 or above, and this unit only has 9.x.

I can connect you up with a guy who knows how to upgrade the firmware. Email me.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

It (the SD-14) will work with Ver 9.xx in the 11802.

I am still looking for someone that has a later version for the 11802. Version 10.xx for the Exec and TBC boards.

I just put up ver 9.02 for the ACQ processor on KO4BB.com and it should be available shortly when Didier gets to it.

I got a SD-14 with broken tips from ebay the other day. Someone (JL ?) had addressed repair to the tips recently. Can they put up the link again?

tm

Tom

Reply to
tm

pull the trigger...

firmware revision 10 or above, and this unit only has 9.x.

The SD-14 works fine with my 11802, but I'm not in the lab this week so I can't look up the firmware version. With a bit of patience you should be able to get an SD-24 for $100 or only a bit more, which is when these scopes really start to shine.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs