Scope Probes off Ebay

I never learn. I bought a used "Agilent 500Mhz probe" off Ebay for 50 quid as the highest bandwidth probe I thought I had was a 150Mhz Tek one. Anyway, I have a large selection of old probes lying around so decided to check to make sure the "Agilent" one was genuine. Not surprisingly it turns out it isn't. I haven't calculated what it's real bandwidth is. I've established it's not as sensitive as the

150Mhz one and that's all I need to know. Whilst I was going through this palarva, I tested a old probe I came across that I've never used before and was amazed at the improvement in signal I got with it. I've just Googled its part number and it turns out it's a 3.5Ghz passive probe! I never even knew I had one so fast. I would never have ordered the "500Mhz" one if I'd known I had this forgotten-about one already. So the fake's going back for a refund and I won't be ordering any more probes from anywhere in the forseeable future.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Funny you should say that, but the 3.5Ghz probe I mentioned (a Tek P6056 to be precise) has a fragile resistor assembly in the tip according to the datasheet and it's easily damaged by rough handling. I'd be very interested to know what the secret sauce is in the Caddocks and why they're more robust than whatever Tek used in the P6056.

Many years ago when I was somewhat impecunious, I used to improvise like that, but these days I prefer to just buy whatever I need ready made. Some of those top-end RF patch cables can be ruinously expensive to buy ready-made, but what are you gonna do? No matter how good you are with terminations, you'll never emulate the quality standard of a properly made, high quality patch lead. When you're as ham-fisted and half-blind as I am, it's a no-brainer to buy 'em ready-made!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

What do you mean by "fine"? How did you go about characterising them and what were you looking for specifically? IME you get what you pay for and cheap connectors are very seldom worth it. Buy cheap, buy twice as they say.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I did some consulting job recently. One of the guys insisted we buy the expensive probes, I carried on with my 900ohms 20:1 10 USD probe. By the way, the resistor on the end probe is not sensitive to pigtails, so in many cases it's better than the expensive probes

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

Which Caddock part number?

Reply to
Chris Jones

Thanks, I only looked at the pdf before. For usenet posterity the zip file contains Agilent document 54006-90002 and a photo of a probe made from a SMA connector with a resistor marked MD1248 950 1%, and a packet of resistors marked CADDOCK Part No. 0699-2371 (MD1247) Rev B Model MG680 Resistance 450 Ohm Date 12-7-88 Date Code 8845 amongst other things.

Reply to
Chris Jones

Not necessarily. I used to buy phase-matched sets of SMA cables from Huber & Suhner. Then, one day, because H+S did not reply to a new request for a quotation, I got them from JYEBAO in Taiwan via a French representative. They were cheaper *and* better.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

This is comparison with sub pF probes vs just a resistor/coax. Seems the performance from the coax is very similar to high end active probe. From:

Notice, that you can have a rather long pigtail on the coax probe and it won't affect the signal.

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

We do that with U.FL connectors. They're minorly fiddly, but seem to survive OK and work up to 6 GHz, so at the size of a SOT23 and a cost of only a few cents, they're Good Medicine. We often populate them for debug and then leave them off on production units.

We use them for I/O connectors in some products, as well--jumpers going from U.FL to bulkhead SMA are fairly inexpensive.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

They have some interesting stuff for sure. Shame none of their site links work.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I do that too, also for all PSU rails. And add resistor in series with the feedback path of PSUs, then it real easy to do gain/phase measurements

I add 900ohm resistor on the board before the UFL, I guess you do the same?

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

450 usually, for 3.3v type signals.

High voltage dividers are another story.

Reply to
john larkin