Scary Day Right Here in River City

Around 10AM this morning it comes over the radio that there's a shooting at "Yuma County Courthouse", and an attorney has been shot dead.

One of our sons-in-law in Chief Deputy County Attorney for Yuma County... Chief Prosecutor and CSI Supervisor.

We couldn't reach anyone :-(

Wasn't until about 1PM that we heard from our daughter that the shooting had actually been across the street in a divorce attorney's office, and that everyone (in our family) was OK...

...Jim Thompson

Damn! That's a little too close to home. Glad to hear that your kid-in-law is okay.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

Thanks! A wee-bit unnerving for awhile. (And the daughter's office is just down the block... she's the United Way administrator.) ...Jim Thompson

Recently I had a similar experience because of a lunatic emptying a few guns at a small mall. My closest relatives go shopping over there. They are OK but some people they know got shot.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

That would've been a bit worrying.

We're lucky here in Oz. Guns are really only owned by the police and a few bikies. The infrequent gun crime we have is usually between rival criminals. You guys in the US seem to be having a bad run with these serial shooter nutbags.

Reply to
Dennis

[snip]

Considering our population, these events are quite a low percentage. ...Jim Thompson

in

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

ew

als.

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Good to hear your family is intact.

We do have a rather violent past. But then again, injustice breeds violence. Even causes the insanity of destroying one's own nest, ie Watts riots in LA.

Reply to
Robert Macy

But it was only a _divorce_ attorney* :/

I remember a first-aid call** for a shooting at our local bank, right across the street from my dad's shop. It got tapped out, and rather than driving Father just snagged his kit from his rig and jogged across the road. Just about the time that he got out of earshot it came over the radio that it was believed that the gunman was still inside.

We were tense for a bit, there -- I'm sure it was just an echo of the feeling that you had.

  • I hope my favorite neighbor, the family law practitioner, doesn't read s.e.d!
** My father was on the Boring Volunteer Fire Department until they kicked him out on his 70th birthday.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

[snip]

Violence such as in Watts is caused by unemployment (and lack of female diversions :-).

Provoked, of course, by leftist policies, welfare states that pay best for fatherless households.

Some theorists say that the DPRK is close to collapse because the young male population seriously outnumbers the available young female population.

And it's becoming a problem in China as well. ...Jim Thompson

what? no sharing?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Yep. The only calming factor was that I was able to locate the shooting site on the web within minutes... Smith Fila Law Offices.

It's quite unlikely that my son-in-law would be out of the courthouse (except for investigating a crime scene... he's the only person in Yuma with enough brains to investigate at CSI levels :-)

I figured divorce or defense attorney... possibly someone got sent up, and when they got out, got even ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not true. you have hunters and shooting clubs. I've also read about an Aussie (caught by police)who was making handguns in a home shop by the hundreds,and selling them(illegally,of course). Then there are smuggled guns;if drug cartels can smuggle illegal drugs by the ton,they can also smuggle in illegal guns.(and do)

Fact is,another Dunblaine can still happen in Australia.

I disagree. It's caused by a lack of proper bringing up.(parenting) Back in the Great Depression,amny people were out of work,but did not riot because they were brought up right,and most families consisted of a mother AND father.

the Second cause would be the "progressive" entitlement philosophy.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You trimmed my "and"... the welfare state. ...Jim Thompson

in

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

ew

als.

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

Dream on. The U.S. is up there in the "top 10" with 0.028 firearm murders per 1,000 people, outdone only by South Africa, Colombia, Thailand, Zimbabwe, Mexico, Belarus & Costa Rica. Canada and Australia are roughly 1/5 and 1/10 the U.S. rate, respectively. U.K. is just .

001 per 1000. Gun control would appear to have a lot to do with it.

see:

-firearms-per-capita

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Dream on. The U.S. is up there in the "top 10" with 0.028 firearm murders per 1,000 people, outdone only by South Africa, Colombia, Thailand, Zimbabwe, Mexico, Belarus & Costa Rica. Canada and Australia are roughly 1/5 and 1/10 the U.S. rate, respectively. U.K. is just .

001 per 1000. Gun control would appear to have a lot to do with it.

see:

-- Joe

===========================

Settle down Joe! You're clouding the issue with facts! ;)

Reply to
Dennis

When we start rounding up liberals, it'll go up ;-) ...Jim Thompson

te in

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

few

inals.

er

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

South Africa, one of the most dangerous places on Earth, has some of the strictest gun control laws in existence, at least when I was there. To lose your firearm, even to a vandal or a thief, was to risk life in prison, effectively a death sentence in South Africa.

The folks there were terrified they were being deliberately, systematically disarmed, as this would leave them helpless against a tyrannical government bent on their destruction. From what I hear, they were right.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

"Dennis" wrote in news:EeudnQZqdbjSCXTQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com.au:

would "appear". Appearances are deceiving. Actually,BEFORE you enacted your strict gun control,your gun violence was low. It's due to cultural differences,not gun control. Your people have been accustomed to being disarmed,over several centuries. Plus,until recently,your culture was homogenous. the same goes for Japan.

Then there's Switzerland,with a high rate of gun ownership and very low gun violence. Or Mexico with extremely strict gun control and very high rates of gun violence. You have to consider culture.

A lot of UNconnected facts. correlation does not equal causation.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That's not murder. ;-)