Which vendor? Montavista or Wind River

We're planning on moving from an in-house linux bsp to some vendor
supported commercial version, due to the need to outsource any startup
problem for our projects.

We evaluated both Montavista and Wind River, and:
- Montavista has the longest track record for being an expert in
embedded linux, and is actively contributing to the community. Their
tools offer little more than standard eclipse device development
platform, but their licensing allows for broader platform support and
their price is around 50% lower
- Wind River put big money on getting their distro right, and they
came up with some really neat tools, like the template/layer method of
applying patches, the ports of their analysis tools from VxWorks and
the sensorpoints technology which is impressive. They are newer in the
market, and seem still wed to their VxWorks product, which gives them
most of the revenues. Their price is around 50% more than
Montavista's, but maybe the tools are worth it.

Are there any relevant things we didn't take into account? Like
stability, support, company health...?

Thank you

Re: Which vendor? Montavista or Wind River

Wind River has increased its (VxWorks) prices a lot since 2000 (at least
for small companies located outside USA, like the one I work with). If
your current prices are balanced enough for you, go ahead. But I
wouldn't be surprised if they rise them again in a couple of years.

Re: Which vendor? Montavista or Wind River
blah, blah, blah

You can find a plenty of European companies providing support with GPL
linux avoiding to waste huge amount of money with companies you mentioned.
They provide better service and are more responsive.

Re: Which vendor? Montavista or Wind River

now, could you point to me some of them?

We were looking for a commercial vendor to have enhanced tools and
more stable support. I do use open source solutions since 1993, but
it's hard to back it up in a company. Hopefully companies like
Canonical will help building a dependable solution.

Re: Which vendor? Montavista or Wind River

Did you try to use Google ?
keyword "linux embedded support"
BTW in which country do you live?

Re: Which vendor? Montavista or Wind River
Sure I checked. As I told you, they don't trust small companies which
may not be here for the whole life of the project (7 yrs).

I live in Italy

Re: Which vendor? Montavista or Wind River

What about ENEA?
They are mostly known for their OSE operating system which is
running on Mobile phones (Sony-Ericsson & others) and other
telecom equipment like basestations.

There is a group within ENEA working on embedded Linux as well.
http://www.enea.com/templates/Extension____23656.aspx
They have worked with GPL linux as well as Monta Vista and Wind River Linux.
Contact Anders Törnqvist (Giv him my regards).

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson
Re: Which vendor? Montavista or Wind River
 > Sure I checked. As I told you, they don't trust small companies which
 > may not be here for the whole life of the project (7 yrs).
 >
 > I live in Italy

In Italy KOAN sas (www.koansoftware.com) provides commercial support for
GPL licensed linux kernel

Site Timeline